Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Significant Moments: The Whistleblower -- Uncensored!

Yesterday, November 3, 2009, I posted the following writing on a social networking site, TBD. A moderator deleted some of the content, specifically, the final sentences concerning federal law enforcement. Here's the unexpurgated text.

He said, "I felt as an American citizen, a responsible citizen, I could no longer cooperate in concealing this . . .
William Manchester, The Glory and the Dream.
. . . cesspool of lies . . .
Henrik Ibsen, An Enemy of the People.
. . . from the American people. I took this action on my own initiative, and I am prepared for all the consequences."
William Manchester, The Glory and the Dream.
This myth of official infallibility must be destroyed.
Henrik Ibsen, An Enemy of the People.
What makes that description so significant is that it suggests a man who . . . believes sincerely in the values of his time and his society and is ready as well as able to live up to them. This is someone who has formed his ideals and developed his superego in conformity with the standards of his cultural setting. . . . Yet the harmony of his personality has rested on the assumption that the society whose ideals he has integrated has its foundations in an ethical base.
K.R. Eissler, Discourse on Hamlet and HAMLET.
As it was, the Crusader felt . . .
Walter Scott, The Talisman.
. . . as if he were . . .
Walter Scott, Ivanhoe.
. . . here in the situation of the truly religious person who has been leading a spotless life in conformity with the demands of the Sacred Texts. If it were now to be proved that these Sacred Texts are fraudulent or forged or otherwise invalid, such a faithful person would be thrown into a crisis . . .
K.R. Eissler, Discourse on Hamlet and HAMLET.


____________________________________________________________

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2004/01/anatomy-whistleblower

The great relief is that whistleblowers aren't like the vast majority of us, says C. Fred Alford, the political scientist who is an expert on whistleblowers. According to Alford whistleblowers are strange creatures.

Strange doesn't have to mean wearing funny shoes," Alford says. "It can just mean being a true believer. A real cynic isn't going to blow the whistle. A real conformist isn't going to blow the whistle. And a real radical probably won't be in a position to do it. It takes someone who believes in the system far more than the system ever believes in itself."

As for me, I believed that lawyers act ethically. I believed that the ethical employer rewards the good employee. Was I ever wrong!

I believed that if Federal law enforcement (the U.S. Secret Service) came across possible criminal conduct during the course of an investigation -- criminal conduct that fell outside its Congressional mandate -- it would make a criminal referral to the FBI. Apparently, I believed in Federal law enforcement more than Federal law enforcement believes in itself.

Every time I met with Secret Service Special Agent Philip C. Leadroot he told me he didn't think I had mental problems or that I was unemployable. On one occasion he said: "Do you have a resume drawn up?" He told me I needed to get on with my life. When I showed him a letter written by Dimitrios Georgopoulos, MD at the George Washington University Medical Center in DC stating that I had paranoid schizophrenia (February 1996) he said that didn't mean anything. When I told Agent Leadroot that Social Security had determined that I was disabled he responded: "Do you know how easy it is to qualify for disability benefits?"

If Agent Leadroot believed that I didn't suffer from severe mental illness and that I was fully employable, then I was committing a federal crime. I was engaged in the continuing fraud of the U.S. Social Security Administration. Why did Agent Leadroot not refer my case of possible criminal fraud against the Social Security Administration to the FBI?

1 comment:

My Daily Struggles said...

Why on Earth were my comments about the U.S. Secret Service deleted?