Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Significant Moments: A Joseph Identification

"I draw the tentative conclusion that one of the childhood processes that are relevant for the later evolvement of greatness is an identification, based on reality, with a historical figure of great renown.

The Joseph identity is a particularly propitious and ego-strengthening one since despite defeats Joseph rises to glory, without incurring oedipal guilt.

One may tenatively suggest that, given outstanding endowment, when the child's identification is with a historical son-figure who was not burdened by guilt and ambivalence, and when that identification is based on reality factors rather than only on fantasy or like psychic elements -- such combination may be a propitious beginning for later eminence.

In Freud's case, this was based on the fact that he was the oldest son of his father's second and probably more loved wife--that is to say, he had the same position in his family that the biblical Joseph had in his. Furthermore, in both instances, the name of the father was Jacob."

K.R. Eissler, "Talent and Genius: The Fictitious Case of Tausk Contra Freud (with slight modification)." Dr. Eissler cites Leonard Shengold, "Freud and Joseph."

(Incidentally, Emmanuel Garcia, M.D., a Philadelphia psychoanalyst, is Dr. Eissler's literary executor. Dr. Garcia was a member of the 231st class of The Central High School of Philadelphia; he graduated a year after me, in 1972. He is a Mahler expert and a consultant to the Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia.)

What is my point in all this? Well, funny thing. Like the Biblical Joseph, my father's name was Jacob and I was a son of my father's old age. My father was 47 years old when I was born. So I have reason to identify with Joseph, based on reality. But then, I've never achieved eminence -- although I have suffered some serious defeats.

1 comment:

My Daily Struggles said...

The following site contains the links to all my dream interpretations:



http://dailstrug.blogspot.com/2010/06/birth-of-joseph-dreamer.html