Monday, November 16, 2009

More Ideas of Reference

I recently thought of two things that I haven't thought about in years.

Late in the afternoon on October 28, 1991 -- the afternoon before I was terminated from my job at the DC law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld -- Earl Segal (the partner in charge of the legal assistant program) said loudly as he stood near the door of the office on the fourth floor where I was working temporarily: "Build it and he will come." I thought the statement referred to me, but I had no idea what it meant.

The following morning, October 29, 1991, as I entered the subway turnstile at the Cleveland Park Metro I saw the Akin Gump attorney Katherine MacKinnon. She saw me and had a pained expression on her face. I thought, "I wonder what that means?" Maybe she has a toothache. Who knows? Katherine MacKinnon practiced in the Toxic Tort group with firm partner David Callet, Esq. She and Mary Ellen Conner worked on Hoechst-Celanese, the client for whom I was working at the time of my job termination.

So, yes, I remember the most insignificant things if I tentatively assume that the incidents relate to me in some way.

I wonder if Katherine MacKinnon can remember looking at me with a pained expression on the morning of October 29, 1991 as she entered the turnstile at the Cleveland Park Metro? Probably not!

But of course, Katherine MacKinnon is not a professional psychotic. Keep in mind, I do this for a living. You would expect that I have mastered my craft.

2 comments:

My Daily Struggles said...

Why would Katherine MacKinnon know that I was about to be fired? Is that at all credible? Was I some kind of celebrity in the firm? Was I a mythical figure at the firm? "Did you hear? They decided to fire Gary."

Well, folks, Gary was just an anonymous paralegal. No one would taken notice of my termination. But then, you never know.

My Daily Struggles said...

I always loved the part about my being potentially violent, homicidal even. And yet, they decided to terminate me on the afternoon of October 28th (the severance check was dated 10/28/91) -- and yet, they waited to tell me about the termination until the following morning, but then, not early in the morning -- they waited until about noon.

If you thought I was a potentially violent homicidal maniac, wouldn't you want me out of your building as soon as you discovered that disturbing fact about me?

And then my supervisor asked me to stay on after the termination to complete the work I was engaged with earlier in the morning.

Yes, Texans are a different breed!