Wednesday, November 18, 2009

An Akin Gump Partner to Head the EEOC -- You're Joking, Right?

In 1994 I read a newspaper report that then President Bill Clinton placed in nomination the name of Gilbert F. Vazquez, Esq., an Akin Gump partner in the firm's San Antonio office, to head the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). I hastily dashed off a letter to a partner in the San Antonio Office concerning the ironic facts surrounding my job termination by the firm.

I wonder if Mr. Rosenheim telephoned Dennis M. Race, Esq. in the Washington, DC office. I wonder what Dennis Race told Mitchell Rosenheim.


March 16, 1994
3801 Connecticut Avenue, NW
#136
Washington, DC 20008

Mitchell S. Rosenheim, Esq.
Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld, LLP
1500 NCNB Plaza
300 Convent Street
San Antonio, TX 78205

Dear Mr. Rosenheim:

I found it remarkable (bordering on the bizarre) that President Clinton is considering placing the name of Gilbert F. Vazquez in nomination for the post of EEOC chairman.

I am sure that Mr. Vazquez is an outstanding attorney and an excellent choice for the position of EEOC chairman. At the same time, Akin Gump's history of questionable employment practices makes the choice of any Akin Gump attorney (with the exception of Mr. Jordan) to head the EEOC laughable.

I am a former employee of Akin Gump. I was employed in the capacity of legal assistant in the Washington, DC office. My employment was terminated on October 29, 1991 after I complained to two attorney managers that I was a victim of harassment by a supervisor Christine Robertson. I was later secretly certified insane and potentially violent by Mr. Dennis M. Race, an Akin Gump partner, in retaliation for my complaint of harassment. Mrs. Robertson was later found by a federal court to have exhibited racial animus toward black employees under her supervision.

I have brought this matter to the attention of the FBI; Mr. James P. Turner, Assistant U.S. Attorney General for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Justice; and Mr. Eric H. Holder, Jr., U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia.

Perhaps the San Antonio office of Akin Gump should be looking into just what is going on in the Washington, DC office.

Sincerely,

Gary Freedman

1 comment:

My Daily Struggles said...

Vernon Jordan, Esq., an Akin Gump executive partner, headed up President Clinton's transition team in 1992-1993.