Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A Letter From My Sister -- 1983

I used to live in Philadelphia. In August 1983, I moved to Washington, DC to enter the Master of Laws program at American University. I recently came a cross a letter, dated September 12, 1983, my sister wrote to me a brief time after I moved to Washington. My sister lived in New Jersey at that time:

Dear Gary,

How is everything with you? How does the workload compare with that in the JD program?

This morning Meredith hopped onto the school bus for the first time this 83-84 year. She was aglow with anticipation. This is the first year for a lunch box. I think I mentioned the nightmares and waking fears Meredith was having from the movie Poltergeist. My neighbor, Patty, suggested maybe she was just transferring her fears about school onto this movie. It seems plausible since she has been concerned about 3rd grade.

Yesterday I was supposed to go to a bridal shower for Lisa Bernstein, Mildred's granddaughter. I decided not to go but this morning I sent out a gift from Best - corning ware - to her house. Yesterday, we ate breakfast out, then went to Cherry Hill. Ed had to pick up an appraisal from a client's house. As it turned out, they invited us all in and we chatted for a while. We had intended to go to the pool but it was too hot, 98 degrees, and Suzanne needed her nap anyway. We finally watched Connors vs. Lendl. In the evening we visited Art & Joy in their new home. It is very nice. It is a 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath split level with a basement. The rooms seem a little smaller than ours but it is a lovely house. They had a huge window installed in the kitchen. It is fabulous. After the visit we went to Roy Rogers for dinner.

On Saturday, we went to Joel Frankel's 7th birthday swim party. The weather couldn't have been nicer. I got a beautiful Izod sweater.

We went to Ed's mom's on Friday since we knew we would get there after the swim party. His mom was most appreciative of your kind sentiments on the New Year's Card. She hasn't bought her cards yet.

Janet told Eddie's mom that she's only sending cards to people who send to her, after all "stamps have gone up so much and it's such an expense."

I've been trying to call Reggie, but no one has been home.

I told Eddie I'm saving for a Rolex watch and he said if that's what I want, fine. He feels we should be able to find a place that discounts them maybe 20-25%. Do you think this is possible?

The Frankels suggested we go in with them to buy a duplex down the shore, say Brigantine. Steve only wants waterfront property & the price would be $100,000 each. Obviously we are not taking them up on the offer.

Well, the days of summer dwindle down to a precious few and so do my ideas, so I'll say Adios, amigo.

Love, Stell.

No comments: