Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I Went Crazy All Of A Sudden at Akin Gump

Yes, that's true. I went crazy all of a sudden. Or as Malcolm Lassman would say, "he lost his mind 'in mitten drinnen.'"

It happened in late October 1991. I don't know what brought it on. But I suddenly lost my mind. I got out of control. My neurotransmitters went haywire without warning. I was suddenly incapacitated, debilitated, and unable to hold down a job. What brought on this tragic outcome has never been explained.

In the period immediately preceding my precipitous descent into insanity, I was seeing a psychologist, William D. Brown, Ph.D. in Washington, DC. During the period immediately prior to October 29, 1991 (the specific date on which I went crazy) -- from May 29, 1991 until October 8, 1991 -- I consulted weekly with Dr. Brown. As a psychologist, Dr. Brown is precluded from treating clients with severe emotional disorders. Principle 2 (Competence) of the Ethical Principles of Psychologists (amended June 2, 1989), promulgated by the American Psychological Association (APA), requires that "[p]sychologists recognize the boundaries of their competence and the limitations of their techniques." A psychologist's continued treatment of a severely disturbed client would constitute a violation of the aforementioned ethical principle. The APA, which conducted a review of Dr. Brown's handling of my case, has determined that Dr. Brown's therapy did not exceed his competence.

The finding of the APA that Dr. Brown's handling of my case did not violate that organization's ethical principle regarding a psychologist's competence leads to one inescapable conclusion: that during the period immediately prior to my job termination by the DC law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld on October 29, 1991 -- that's to say, from May 29, 1991 until October 8, 1991 -- I did not suffer from psychological symptoms of sufficent severity so as to preclude competent nonmedical treatment by a psychologist. Dr. Brown, as a psychologist, could not prescribe medication to me. And there is no evidence that I needed any psychotropic medication in the period immediately before I went crazy.

So, yes, I went crazy all of a sudden. On October 29, 1991 I lost my mind.

No comments: