Saturday, November 07, 2009

Did I Have Paranoid Ideas About Yu Ling Han?

Funny you should ask. Of course, I had paranoid ideas about Yu Ling Han. I have paranoid ideas about everything. Don't you know, I attach a negative meaning to trivial events! See Freedman v. DC Dept. Human Rights, 96-CV-961.

Yu Ling Han, a psychology intern, administered a battery of psychological tests to me in May 1994 at the George Washington University Medical Center Department of Psychiatry (GW).

About a week or so after the testing, I met with Dr. Han in her office at GW to review the test results. During the course of the meeting, Dr. Han had peculiar responses to two questions I posed.

1. I asked her what my ego strength score was on the MMPI (the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory). She said, "the MMPI doesn't have an ego strength scale." I was sure the MMPI did have an ego strength scale. Dr. Han admitted in her test report that I had done research on the testing. I persisted. I said, "Yes. The MMPI includes an ego strength scale." Dr. Han looked through her papers and said, "Yes. I see it. There is an ego strength scale." I said, "How did I score?" She said my score was normal. Dr. Han did not mention my MMPI ego strength score in her written report of the test results. I found Dr. Han's actions and statements in connection with the MMPI ego strength scale to be peculiar.

2. I said to Dr. Han: "Can't you generate a personality profile from the MMPI results?" She said, "I don't know what you mean." I said, "I read that you can generate a personality profile from the MMPI raw data." She said, "I don't know what you mean." I said, "A personality profile is a list of personality characteristics. I read that you can use the MMPI results to generate a personality profile." Dr. Han said she didn't know anything about that.

I found Dr. Han's statements to be objectively peculiar. Anna Anastasi's text on psychological testing includes a sample personality profile generated from the MMPI. I did not find Dr. Han's statement that she was unaware of such a profile to be worthy of credence. Dr. Han should have generated a personality profile from my MMPI raw data. She did not do that. Why?

You can even tell from an MMPI profile whether a person fits the profile of someone who would tend to be a victim of job harassment, an issue particularly pertinent to my case.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P3-1647910741.html

1 comment:

My Daily Struggles said...

"Relationships Between Mobbing at Work and MMPI-2 Personality Profile, Posttraumatic Stress Symptoms, and Suicidal Ideation and Behavior" by Balducci, Cristian MSc, PhD; Alfano, Vincenzo PhD; Fraccaroli, Franco PhD (2009).

"This study investigates the relationships between the experience of mobbing at work and personality traits and symptom patterns as assessed by means of the revised version of the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI-2). Participants were 107 workers who had contacted mental health services because they perceived themselves as victims of mobbing. In line with previous research, the results showed that the MMPI-2 mean profile was characterized by a neurotic component as evidenced by elevations of Scales 1, 2, and 3 and a paranoid component as indicated by elevation of Scale 6."

Scale 6 is the MMPI paranoia scale. My Scale 6 was elevated, as reported by Yu Ling Han. The study indicates that suspiciousness and hypervigilance (factors evaluated by Scale 6) are not inconsistent with actually being a victim of job harassment or mobbing. Being suspicious and hypervigilant will enable a harassment victim to be aware of subtle disturbances in the environment. Studies define mobbing as very subtle, and most people are not even aware that they are being mobbed until late in the game. A high scale 6 may simply mean that someone will tend to be aware that he is a victim of subtle aggression, not that he is imagining the aggression.