Friday, November 06, 2009

A Case For The Special Prosecutor?

Here's a letter that I wrote to Dr. Singh who was my treating psychiatrist during the period November 1996 to June 18, 1998. Oddly enough, Dr. Singh told me I did not suffer from any diagnosis or condition a day or two before the Monica Lewinsky story broke. When Kenneth Starr got authority to investigate Monica Lewinsky, I thought, "Hey, maybe Judge Starr might be interested in broadening his investigation to include my case as well."

January 24, 1998
3801 Connecticut Avenue, NW #136
Washington, DC 20008-4530

Dr. Singh
Community Mental Health Center
North Annex
3246 P Street, NW
Washington, DC 20007
(202) 282-2229

Dear Dr. Singh:

This will confirm that at my psychiatric consultation on Monday January 19, 1998 you advised me that it is your professional opinion, and that of attending physician Dr. Quint, that I do not suffer from paranoid schizophrenia, or any mental disorder for which medication is indicated. You also stated that you cannot explain the reason why the George Washington University Medical Center Department of Psychiatry ("GW") (Dimitrios Georgopoulos, M.D.) assigned the diagnosis paranoid schizophrenia in my case.

I submit several documents relating to my psychiatric treatment at GW. The documents may offer insight into the reasons underlying the diagnosis paranoid schizophrenia that Dr. Georgopoulos assigned in February 1996.

Letter dated January 22, 1996 that I wrote and forwarded to Dimitrios Georgopoulos, M.D. that details my belief that I have been under surveillance by the law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld, my former employer, and that GW routinely and unlawfully transmitted confidential mental health information concerning my psychiatric treatment to attorney managers of the firm.

Letter dated February 14, 1996 prepared by Dr. Georgopoulos that advises me of his diagnosis: Schizophrenia, Paranoid Type (295.30) (subtype unspecified).

The action of GW in assigning the diagnosis of a psychotic mental illness in the period immediately following my written allegations that physicians associated with GW had engaged in illegal conduct parallels the action of prior treating psychiatrist Suzanne M. Pitts, M.D., in 1993, in recommending that I take the antipsychotic Haldol (a medication that carries the risk of irreversible side effects such as tardive dyskinesia) in the period days after I forwarded a letter of complaint concerning my psychiatric treatment at GW to the District of Columbia Board of Medicine. These facts are evidenced by the following enclosed documents:

Letter dated August 20, 1993 (first page only) that I wrote and forwarded to the District of Columbia Board of Medicine that alleges that my treating psychiatrists, dating back to the year 1990, routinely and unlawfully transmitted confidential mental health information concerning my psychiatric treatment to attorney managers at the law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld, my former employer. I forwarded copies of the letter of complaint to George Washington University trustees Harold F. Baker, Esq. and Sheldon S. Cohen, Esq. The Medical Board, in September 1993, determined that my letter of complaint did not provide evidence sufficient to institute disciplinary proceedings.

Handwritten notes dated August 26, 1993 prepared by Suzanne M. Pitts, M.D. (my treating psychiatrist and one of the physicians named in the letter of complaint to the D.C. Medical Board) in contemplation of a telephone conference call to my sister, Mrs. Estelle Jacobson, to discuss the prescription of the anti-psychotic medication Haldol. (The contemplated conference call was in fact held with my sister, but I did not take the medication as recommended).

Dr. Pitts refers in her handwritten notes to my letter of complaint to the Medical Board (page 3), suggesting that the said letter of complaint was one material factor in her decision to recommend an anti-psychotic. Oddly, Dr. Pitts reinforces her earlier prescription of lithium for bi-polar disorder and refers to my refusal to continue to take lithium (page 2 of notes), whereas the test report prepared by Drs. Mojtabai and Jenkins (dated March 11, 1996 [incorrectly dated March 11, 1995]) notes the "absence of prominent mood symptoms" (page 2 of test report).

This letter will also confirm the following statement that I made at my psychiatric consultation with you on January 19, 1998:

In April 1995 my sister requested that I baby-sit for her 13-year-old daughter, at their home in New Jersey, for a few days while she and her husband went on a brief cruise vacation. My sister was aware that as of 1995 I was in twice-per-week out-patient psychotherapy at GW, had been continuously unemployed since October 1991, was not on medication (although an anti-psychotic had been recommended in 1993), and suffered from purportedly delusional beliefs. My sister was not concerned in the least about leaving her child alone with me for a few days. (Documents prepared by my sister and submitted by her to the U.S. Social Security Administration in 1993 in connection with my disability claim (xxx xx xxxx) state that both she and her husband believed that I suffered from a paranoid mental state).

Sincerely,

Gary Freedman

cc: Jerry M. Wiener, M.D.
Kenneth W. Starr, Esq.

No comments: