Thursday, January 21, 2010

Ideas of Reference: Cleveland Park Library -- January 21, 2010

I'm picking up a calm, placid vibe at the library today. Things seem settled. It's as if some problem that had been weighing on people's minds has been resolved; reports have been investigated; the facts check out.

Barbara Gauntt said: "He needs human attention." I don't know what she was referring to.

So everybody is happy. Except me. I still don't understand how you can defraud the federal government and get away with it.

The irony, as I see it, is that if I passed a note to a bank teller demanding $1,000 in cash, the authorities would be all over me like a pitbull on a poodle.

And yet, by the time the ongoing crime is completed, when I reach age 65 in December 2018 -- when I will be transferred to Social Security Old Age Benefits -- the government will have paid out about $250,000 in disability benefits and an untold fortune in Medicare.

Why would anybody bother robbing a bank?

No comments: