Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Blum Delicatessen

When I was growing up, our family used to go to Atlantic City every summer, the first two weeks of July. We stayed with old friends of my father. The family with whom we stayed lived at Vermont and Oriental Avenues in the inlet in Atlantic City. (Ask Jerry Shestack where that is!)

The matriarch of the family was Ethel Blum, who opened a grocery store on the first floor of her home, The Blum Delicatessen. Ethel Blum had a number of children, including Sheldon Blum and Sylvia Blum Lischin. Sheldon and Sylvia worked in the store. Coincidentally, Sheryl Dyner, with whom I worked at the Franklin Institute Research Laboratories in the late 1970s, used to stay with her family at a home in the inlet. Sheryl Dyner used to shop at The Blum Delicatessen and, when I knew her, remembered Sheldon Blum.

Sylvia Lischin had four sons. Two of the sons, Roy and Eddie Lischin, were my sister's age. My sister is six years older than I am. Eddie Lischin now lives in Santa Cruz, California. I sent him some emails a while back, but he ignored me. I think Roy Lischin lives at the Jersey shore. He served in the U.S. Navy during the Vietnam War.

I always had the idea that my old employer talked to Roy Lischin. But then, I'm paranoid!

http://www.iloveac.com/memory.php?Action=Search&Count=4873&GroupNumber=&Increment=&SearchKey=eddie+lischin&SearchIn=All&SearchFor=Go

1 comment:

My Daily Struggles said...

Jerome Shestack, former President of the American Bar Association, is originally from Atlantic City, New Jersey.