Saturday, January 09, 2010

Akin Gump: My Continuing Anger

I had a consult with my psychiatrist, Abbas Jama, M.D., on January 7, 2010. We talked about my feelings of anger toward my former employer, the law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld. Dr. Jama urged me to "let go" of my anger. He said I need to forgive my former employer. He said that my anger is only hurting me, and not the object of my anger, namely, the people I used to work for.

It would be good if Dr. Jama would familiarize himself with the basic symptoms of my disorder, Schizoid Personality Disorder. According to an expert on the disorder, Salman Akhtar, M.D., one of the symptoms of schizoids is omnipotent, vengeful fantasies. Persistent anger directed at a former employer by a patient would seem to be an expression of a vengeful fantasy.

A psychiatrist cannot persuade a patient to give up or "let go" of his symptoms. The most a psychiatrist can do is to engage in psychotherapy with the patient, which means, at the very least, seeing him punctually once a week and not cancelling his regularly scheduled appointments!

Here is Dr. Akhtar's summary of the Schizoid Personality Disorder:

http://www.ptypes.com/schizoidpd2.html

Professor Salman Akhtar, M.D.
Thomas Jefferson University
Jefferson Medical College
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107

Contact Information:

Phone: (215) 955-8420
Salman.Akhtar@jefferson.edu

No comments: