Monday, June 07, 2010

Akin Gump -- Unlawful Termination Complaint

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RIGHTS AND
MINORITY BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT

COMPLAINT
DOCKET No. 92-087-P(N)

In the Matter of:

GARY FREEDMAN
Complainant

-v-

AKIN, GUMP, HAUER & FELD
Respondent

I, Gary Freedman, residing at 3801 Connecticut Avenue, N.W. #136, Washington, D.C. 20008 charge the above Respondent whose address is 1333 New Hampshire Avenue, N.W. Washington, D.C. 20036 with an unlawful discriminatory practice relating to employment on or about October 31, 1991 by subjecting me to differential treatment in terms of terms and conditions of employment, harassing me and terminating my employment because of sexual orientation (homosexual).

THE PARTICULARS ARE:

1.  I was hired by the Respondent on June 13, 1988, as a Legal Assistant, at the salary level of $26,000 per year.  I was terminated on October 31, 1991, as a Legal Assistant  at the salary level of $30,000 per year.

2.  The Respondent has not articulated a valid reason for discriminating against me, harassing me and terminating my employment.

3.  I believe that I have been discriminated against on the basis of my sexual orientation (homosexual) for the following reasons:

A.  I was employed by the Respondent for approximately three (3) years.  I always received outstanding performance evaluations.  During my tenure I did not receive any oral or written reprimands stating that my work performance was unsatisfactory.

B.  During my tenure I was subjected to harassment because of my sexual orientation (homosexual).  There was a rumor in the department that I was homosexual.  In October 29 1991, I went to the Respondent managers and complained about the rumors and innuendos being made about my sexual orientation.

C.  On October 31, 1991, I was terminated by the Respondent.  I inquired of the managers as to [the] reason I was being terminated; I was told that I did not fit in with other personnel in the firm.

D.  It is my belief that I was terminated for complaining about the discriminatory treatment I was received, based upon my sexual orientation (homosexual).

Therefore, I charge the Respondent with an unlawful discriminatory practice on the basis of sexual orientation (homosexual).  In violation of the District of Columbia Human Rights Act of 1977.

I have not commenced any action, civil, criminal or administrative, based on the above allegation(s), other than the following: CROSS FILED WITH EEOC.

* * * * * * * * * * * 

Gary Freedman, being duly sworn, deposes and says: that he is the Complainant herein; that he has read the foregoing complaint and knows the contents thereof; that the same is true of his own knowledge, except as to the matters therein stated on information and belief; and that as to these matters believes the same to be true.

Subscribed and sworn to before me
this 4th day of February, 1992

/s/
COMPLAINANT'S SIGNATURE

/s/ Donald M. Stocks
NOTARY PUBLIC

1 comment:

My Daily Struggles said...

The complete administrative and court docket in Freedman v. D.C. Department of Human Rights can be found at the following site:





http://dailstrug.blogspot.com/2011/03/freedman-v-dc-dept-human-rights-docket.html