Friday, June 04, 2010

Akin Gump: Whatever Happened to Sandra Sussman?

I started working as a temporary paralegal at the law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld in early March 1988. I was assigned to the labor group to work on document production tasks for the client Eastern Airlines.

One of the paralegals employed at the firm in March 1988 was an individual named Sandra Sussman. She got another job a few weeks after I started. I shared an office with Sandra Sussman for a brief time. She was unhappy at the firm. She explained that she was not part of the paralegal in-crowd at the firm and that she was shunned by other employees. Sandra Sussman was older than many of the other paralegals and seemed to me, at least, to be more mature than the other labor group paralegals. She said that she had served in the military, I believe. I think she said she had been stationed in the Netherlands.

I think she described the firm as a "country club" or as having a "country club" atmosphere -- a resort of sorts, I suppose. She said it was her opinion that paralegals at the firm were hired more for their social skills and ability to fit in with the country club atmosphere than for their job skills.  I believe that she was gay.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/sandra-sussman/5/1a1/207

More on resorts and country clubs:

http://dailstrug.blogspot.com/2010/05/on-being-forced-to-leave-resort-me-and.html

1 comment:

Gary Freedman said...

Sandra Sussman worked on the second floor of Akin Gump's office and would have known David Callet, Esq. and the billing partner on Eastern, Jack Gallagher, Esq.