Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Mind Like a Steel Trap!

November 1967. I was thirteen years old and in the ninth grade. I played second violin in my high school orchestra at The Central High School of Philadelphia. There was a parent/teacher get together one evening. My mother attended. Parents followed their son's school schedule, spending 15 minutes in each class, with the teacher giving a little speech. I remember my mother's comment about Elliott Cades, my English teacher: "He looks like a shoe salesman."

In the school auditorium the orchestra performed the Carmen Suite no. 1 from Bizet's opera, under Sidney Rothstein. Rothstein wore a red vest.



I can recall that during a reheasal Rothstein had told a joke about a tuba player complaining that he only had two notes to play in Carmen.  I can't really remember the story now.

Do you think David Rosenbaum can remember this?

No comments: