Wednesday, May 12, 2010

D.C. City Council -- Letter 11/4/04

November 4, 2004
3801 Connecticut Avenue, NW
#136
Washington, DC 20008

The Honorable Kathleen Patterson
Council of the District of Columbia
Ward 3 Council Member
John A. Wilson Building
1350 Pennsylvania, Avenue, NW
Washington, DC

RE: Mental Disability -- Discrimination

Dear Councilmember Patterson:

I am forwarding to you, Councilmember Patterson, a copy of a letter dated November 2, 2004 (plus attachment) that I mailed to Police Chief Charles Ramsey. The letter, which is self-explanatory, discusses a problem of employment discrimination I have been experiencing.

I am a disabled American. I suffer from mental illness and qualify for protections under the DC Human Rights Act of 1977 (as amended) as well as the federal Americans With Disabilities Act. In order to invoke the protections of these laws I must fully disclose to a prospective employer facts about my disability. I face a dilemma, however.

I was a victim of severe defamation at my last place of employment by a senior management attorney, my supervisor, and coworkers. The defamation was compounded by the DC Office of Corporation Council; and, moreover, the Corporation Counsel's actions were subsequently acquiesced in by the employer.

A full disclosure of facts about my background might seriously impair my employability and might even subject me to involuntary commitment or criminal prosecution. On October 12, 2004 a Metro DC Police detective said something to me that was revealing and disturbing regarding the problems that I face as a victim of severe defamation. He asked me: "How can it be that all these people have said these things about you and that none of it is true? Some of it must be true." I can assure you that none of the allegations that have been made about me are true.

Could your office direct me to a District agency that is best suited to advise me concerning this matter?

Thank you very much. Please send my regards to Councilmember David Catania, Esq., who practices law at Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld, my last place of employment.

Sincerely,

Gary Freedman

1 comment:

My Daily Struggles said...

I did not receive a reply to this letter.