Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Jewish Perspective: Losing a Lawsuit Can Have its Long-term Benefits



In 1998 the D.C. Court of Appeals ruled against me in my appeal of an agency determination that my job termination by the law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld was lawful. My employment at the firm was not reinstated.

It was the best thing that could have happened to me. I now live in happy retirement, living off a generous government stipend that was recently bolstered by the action of the U.S. Department of Justice in determining that I am a dangerous person against whom protective measures were called for.  Apparently, the Justice Department agrees that I am not fit for employment by reason of business necessity -- I pose a tort risk to potential employers.  Why, I'm not even allowed to visit my local synagogue -- so dangerous am I!

The very thing that I feared -- losing my lawsuit in the 1990s -- turned out to be my salvation.

That's entertainment, Judge Kozinski!

3 comments:

My Daily Struggles said...

The YouTube video is 9th Circuit Chief judge, Alex Kozinksi whose parents are Holocaust survivors.

My Daily Struggles said...

Advice for people applying for Social Security Disability by reason of mental illness: be sure you use the word "screaming" in your application! Don't bother actually screaming -- just use the word.

My Daily Struggles said...

GARY FREEDMAN: Your former partner ruined me, she ruined my career.

THE "K" MAN: Listen buddy, if it weren't for her, you wouldn't have a career. You'd be back doing that paralegal crap.

[The "K" Man is David Kendall, a partner at Williams & Connolly and lawyer for Bill Clinton. One of David Kendall's partners at Williams & Connolly became a judge. I think I've said more than enough! The parody evidences my recognition that losing a lawsuit can have long-term benefits. The character Kramer on the TV sitcom Seinfeld used to be referred to as "The K Man."]