Saturday, May 15, 2010

Albert H. Taub, M.D. -- 8/14/98

August 14, 1998
3801 Connecticut Avenue, NW
#136
Washington, DC 20008-4530

Albert H. Taub, M.D.
Attending Physician
Community Mental Health Center
Washington, DC 20007

Dear Dr. Taub:

Pertinent to your medical recommendation, made at our consultation on Thursday August 13, 1998, I forward two inquiries that I sent in July to two local clinics that are soliciting persons who have been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, to participate in clinical trials of investigational drugs.

Neither clinic responded to my inquiry, despite the fact that I satisfy the criteria for at least an initial interview.

You may want to contact Dr. Turkus at the Psychiatric Institute of Washington about the Institute's decision-making process in my case. You may reach Dr. Turkus at (202) 965-8521.

Sincerely,

Gary Freedman

In August 1998, Dr. Taub recommended that I take the neuroleptic Zyprexa.  I contacted two local clinics that were doing clinical trials of anti-psychotic medications, and described the nature of my illness.  The clinics were soliciting participants for the trials.  Neither clinic responded to my request to participate, for whatever reason.

1 comment:

My Daily Struggles said...

Interesting and creative legal maneuvering for a patient with psychotic mental illness to devise.

One of the reasons the clinics may not have been interested in me is that based on the information I provided I did fit the criteria of a psychotic patient. But we don't know why the clinics didn't respond to my inquiries.