Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Riddle for the Justice Department

I have a drawer that contains two white socks and two black socks.  I am blindfolded.  How many socks do I have to pull out of the drawer in order to have a matching pair of either white or black socks?

Let's make the problem infinitely more complex.  I have a drawer that contains 87 white socks and 136 black socks. I am blindfolded. How many socks do I have to pull out of the drawer in order to have a matching pair of either white or black socks?

The answer is three socks to both questions.

Speaking metaphorically, no matter how I twist and torture the facts of my case, no matter how much complexity I introduce into my letters and blog posts, the answer is always fraud -- and nothing else.  Speaking literally and metaphorically, violence is never the answer.

No comments: