Monday, April 19, 2010

U.S. Secret Service -- Letter 2/9/98

February 9, 1998
3801 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Apt. 136
Washington, DC 20008-4530

Phillip C. Leadroot, S.A.
U.S. Secret Service
Washington, DC 20036

Dear Mr. Leadroot:

Enclosed is a copy of a letter dated February 6, 1998 that I wrote and forwarded to the Office of U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia (Robert Chapman, Esq.).

The letter refers to the appearance of criminally-false or perjured statements that I made to the U.S. Attorney, as contained in the Declaration dated April 24, 1995 that I made to the U.S. Attorney.

Representations made by the District of Columbia Office of Corporation Counsel to the District of Columbia Court of Appeals on December 16, 1997 raise the logical possibility that I engaged in conduct or made statements while I was employed at the law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld that caused my coworkers to form the reasonable belief that I was capable of armed violence or homicide.

I respect the decision of the U.S. Secret Service not to investigate circumstances pertinent to my job termination at Akin Gump, a law firm managed by a close friend of the U.S. Secretary of the Treasury, whose senior adviser, Edward S. Knight (Treasury General Counsel), is a former Akin Gump partner and prot‚g‚ of former Treasury Secretary Lloyd Benson, a close friend of Robert Strauss. I recall that at one of our meetings you stated to me firmly: "We (the U.S. Secret Service) have no intention of investigating anything that happened to you at that law firm" (whose senior managers have close ties to the Treasury Secretary and President Clinton).

Sincerely,

Gary Freedman

cc: Hon. Henry J. Hyde (US020698; KS020698; DJ020798; FBI-3[020998])

No comments: