Monday, April 19, 2010

U.S. Secret Service -- Letter 5/12/98

TO: Phillip C. Leadroot, S.A.
FROM: Gary Freedman
DATE: May 12, 1998
RE: Current Mental Status - Paranoid Thinking
_____________________________

I submit the attached notes that relate to my current mental status (and, presumably, to my current risk of violence).

The notes appear to be consistent with the determination made by my former employer, the law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld, that I tend to attach a negative meaning to trivial events, that this trend is appropriately viewed as evidence of "ideas of reference," and that this trend may be associated with a risk of violent behavior. See Freedman v. D.C. Department of Human Rights, D.C. Superior Court no. 95-MPA-16 (name of state court judge redacted at the implcit direction of the Justice Department) (final opinion June 10, 1996).

While I respect your recommendation that I actively seek employment, I feel bound also to respect and accept the determination of the D.C. Superior Court that my former employer had valid, nondiscriminatory business reasons to terminate my employment on the basis of the employer's concerns about my mental health and stability (including the potential for violence), which concerns rendered me not suitable for employment. While I would love to return to work, I suppose I really can't.

No comments: