Monday, April 26, 2010

Even More Intimidation by the Justice Department?


On Friday January 15, 2010 two officers from the U.S. Department of Justice visited me at my residence to interview me about my writings, which they found disturbing from a law enforcement perspective -- or so they claimed.  There is some evidence they were trying to intimidate me because they found the message of my writings unsavory -- or so I believe.

On April 26, 2010 I sent the following email to the Justice Department protesting my selective intimidation by the DOJ:

I want to draw your attention to the following offensive blog post about [name of federal official redacted]. I am concerned that I was singled out for scrutiny by the U.S. Marshal because of my factual and laudatory comments about [name of federal official redacted], but someone who posts an offensive report about [name of federal official redacted] in the year 2007 is left to go on posting about her.

http://educationwonk.blogspot.com/2007/10/wankerette-of-day-judge-ellen-segal.html

In the law there is the concept of "selective prosecution." It is not clear why I was singled out by the U.S. Marshal.

GARY FREEDMAN
202 362 7064 

1 comment:

My Daily Struggles said...

In jurisprudence, selective prosecution is a procedural defense in which a defendant argues that they should not be held criminally liable for breaking the law, as the criminal justice system discriminated against them by choosing to prosecute. In a claim of selective prosecution, a defendant essentially argues that it is irrelevant whether they are guilty of violating a law, but that the fact of being prosecuted is based upon forbidden reasons. Such a claim might, for example, entail an argument that persons of different age, race, religion, or gender, were engaged in the same illegal actions for which the defendant is being tried and were not prosecuted, and that the defendant is only being prosecuted because of a bias. In the US, this defense is based upon the 14th Amendment, which requires that "nor shall any state deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."