Tuesday, June 05, 2012

GW Psychiatric Treatment -- Paranoid Idea of Reference 1993

June 28, 1993
3801 Connecticut Ave., NW
#136
Washington, DC  20008

Suzanne M. Pitts, MD
Dept. of Psychiatry
GW Univ. Medical Center
2150 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC  20037

Dear Dr. Pitts:

The following are my sister's opening comments from a telephone call I placed to her on Thursday June 17, 1993.  I assumed that the comments related to the writing I submitted to you on June 1, 1993--"It sounds like a scientific fairy tale."

"Yea, Suz was just in a play tonight.  It was so cute.  It was the whole 5th grade auditioned for it.  And they, eh.  Her teacher wrote a play based on the fairy tale--all the fairy tale char . . . --well, not all but -- Rapunzel, and Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty and incorporated the characters into an original little plot, and they were so good.  It was amazing."

Sincerely,

Gary Freedman

2 comments:

My Daily Struggles said...

Note that my manuscript Significant Moments which I submitted to Dr. Pitts "incorporated the characters into an original little plot."

My Daily Struggles said...

The whole thing was a bitter experience for me.
Arthur Rubinstein, My Young Years.
All his grandiose visions of future glory fell away.
Karen Armstrong, In the Beginning: A New Interpretation of Genesis.
How different was this state of affairs from Freud's initial hopes!
Gary N. Goldsmith, Freud's Aesthetic Response to Michelangelo's Moses.
I have had to demolish all my castles in the air, and I am just now mastering enough courage to start rebuilding them again.
The Complete Letters of Sigmund Freud to Wilhehn Fliess, 1887-1904.
So be it!
H.G. Wells, The Time Machine.
The lecture, he told Fliess a few days later, "had an icy reception from the donkeys and, on Krafft-Ebing's part, the odd judgment: 'It sounds like a scientific
fairy tale.'
And this," Freud exclaimed, "after one has shown them the solution of a
thousands-years-old problem, a source of the Nile! "
Peter Gay, Freud: A Life For Our Time.
One thing I know for certain as I think back on that night: nothing, in later years, had such an impact on my character.
Arthur Rubinstein, My Young Years.