Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Significant Moments: I Should Have Known There Was Already Something Wrong!

I realize now that there was something already wrong . . .
Janet Malcolm, In the Freud Archives.
. . . when he first . . .
Henry James, The Pupil.
. . . came to our house, ate nothing, said 'I am a vegetarian,' I said to him, 'You are an ass!'
Cosima Wagner's Diaries (Saturday, January 14, 1882).
______________________

Recently, speaking of his first meeting with Masson (whose letters he no longer answers), Eissler said bitterly, . . .
Janet Malcolm, In the Freud Archives.
. . . in a voice . . .
Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness.
. . . marked by a sudden change of tone into a passionate minor
key . . .
Leonard Shengold, Soul Murder: The Effects of Childhood Abuse and Deprivation.
. . . “I realize now that there was something already wrong. He came up to me in the lobby of the hotel and said ‘Dr. Eissler?’ How did he know who I was?” But (as Masson points out) how could it have been anyone but Eissler? Who else would have looked like that? Eissler stands out from American analysts the way a lady’s slipper leaps out at you in the woods. When I met him for the first time, in his apartment on Central Park West, I, too, felt a shock of recognition.
Janet Malcolm, In the Freud Archives.
______________________

From D.C. Superior Court Judge, January 26, 1996:

"I realize now that there was already something wrong when he stood up in my court room and announced in open court: 'There may be an ongoing criminal investigation in this matter.' A criminal investigation? What did that have to do with a job termination, a civil matter?"

No comments: