Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Akin Gump: Extended Unemployment Compensation 1992

1 of 2

FAX NO. 887 4288
TRANSMITTAL FOR DENNIS RACE FROM GARY FREEDMAN
(first page of two pages)

2 of 2

June 30, 1992
3801 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Apartment 136
Washington, DC  20008

Mr. Dennis M. Race, P.C.
Akin, Gump, Hauer & Feld
1333 New Hampshire Avenue, NW
Room 431
Washington, DC  20036

Dear Mr. Race:

I have recently been advised by the District of Columbia Department of Employment Services, Office of Unemployment Compensation that I qualify for an additional 26 weeks of unemployment benefits under the Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act.

In view of the circumstances surrounding my termination, the payment of an additional $7,618.00 in unemployment benefits represents an egregious economic waste that could be remedied by the prompt reinstatement of my employment with Akin Gump.

I respectfully request that the management committee give due consideration to my reinstatement.

I hope everything is going well for you and your work.  Please convey my best wishes to Mr. Lassman and Mr. Segal.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Gary Freedman

On April 9, 1992 litigation support employee Patricia McNeil, who worked for my former direct supervisor, Chris Robertson, was terminated by Personnel Administrator Laurel Digweed.  The firm had direct knowledge of the unprofessional environment in the Litigation Support Department.  

On May 22, 1992 Laurence J. Hoffman, Esq. (managing partner) and Dennis M. Race, Esq. filed with the D.C. Department of Human Rights the firm's Response to Interrogatories and Document Request in Freedman v. Akin, Gump, Hauer & Feld, my unlawful job termination complaint.  The firm alleged that my complaint of an unprofessional work environment in the Litigation Support Department (October 1991) was a product of my hypersensitivity and paranoia.  The firm's sworn allegations about my mental state (dated May 22, 1992) were determined to be sufficient evidence of disability by the U.S. Social Security Administration (see SSA Notice of Award dated August 17,1993), which determined that I became disabled and unfit for employment effective October 29, 1991, the date I was terminated by Akin Gump.

Why do the firm's actions not constitute a fraud on the District of Columbia Department of Employment Services, Office of Unemployment Compensation?

2 comments:

My Daily Struggles said...

Don't you just love it when the D.C. government is the unwitting dupe of a fraud and racketeering conspiracy by the very person (Vernon Jordan) who served as Mayor Sharon Pratt Kelly's transition adviser in 1990, and who recommended the appointment of all of Mayor Kelly's chief governmental officers?

Wow!

My Daily Struggles said...

Why didn't they think: This whole thing is leading to unforeseen consequences -- to places we don't want to go. We need to put an end to this right now and reinstate his employment.

DHR requested that they mediate the dispute. They refused.