Monday, November 14, 2011

Where is the Evidence of Schizophrenia?

In May 1994 I underwent a comprehensive battery of psychological testing at The George Washington University Medical Center Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences.  Among the tests I was administered was the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI).  The MMPI includes a "schizophrenia scale" that specifically measures a person's tendency to odd thinking and social alienation characteristic of this disorder.

The psychological test report does not even mention my performance on the schizophrenia scale of the MMPI, nor does the test evaluator state her belief that I lied to conceal my tendency to this disorder.

In February 1996 Dimitrios Georgopoulos, M.D. (at GW) diagnosed me with paranoid schizophrenia.  In 1999 Albert H. Taub, M.D. (D.C. Department of Mental Health) diagnosed paranoid schizophrenia.

A tad askew, don't you think?

1 comment:

My Daily Struggles said...

George Washington University Medical Center
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences

February 14, 1996

Dear Mr. Freedman,

This letter is being written per your request to know your diagnoses.

In my opinion my working diagnosis has been: Schizophrenia, Paranoid Type (295.30).

Sincerely,

[signed]

Dimitrios Georgopoulos, M.D.