Thursday, August 11, 2011

GW Psych Testing: Concern About Fraud

I was administered comprehensive psychological testing by the George Washington University Medical Center in May 1994 by Yu-Ling Han.  During the summer of 1994 my then treating psychiatrist Dimitrios Georgopoulos, M.D. reviewed the test report with me.  I asked him for a copy of the test report.  He said he would make a copy and give it to me.  Weeks passed and I never got the report as promised.  I asked for the test report again.  Again, Dr. Georgopoulos promised to provide a copy but never did.  This interaction continued for the next two years.  In April 1996 I submitted the following formal written request to Dr. Georgopoulos.  In fact, what happened was that after Dr. Georgopoulos completed his residency program at the end of June 1996, he left a copy of the report in an envelope at the receptionist's desk in the psychiatry department for me to pick up.  I found Dr. Georgopoulos' behavior to be suspicious: an act of concealment. Why did it take him two years to provide a copy of the test report?  The test report failed to disclose that I suffered from any psychiatric disorder or psychotic thought processes, a fact that was inconsistent with Dr. Georgopoulos's medical recommendation that I take anti-psychotic medication.

A second peculiarity.  At the psychological testing with Dr. Ramin Mojtabai in March 1996 I reported an incident that occurred between me and the manager of my apartment building Elaine Wranik in early November 1991.  I reported that I got into a heated argument with Elaine Wranik at the height of which I threatened her.  I said, "My sister still has that video tape."  Elaine Wranik seemed immediately to know what I was talking about and replied, "I have pictures of my own."  Oddly, she didn't say, "Videotape?  What videotape?  What are you talking about?"  Dr. Mojtabai omitted that incident from his test report, a fact that I discuss in the letter below.

April 19, 1996
3801 Connecticut Avenue, NW #136
Washington, DC  20008-4530

D. Georgopoulos, MD
Dept. Psychiatry
GW Univ. Med. Ctr.
2150 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC  20037

Dear Dr. Georgopoulos:

This will constitute formal written notice per the client access provision of the District of Columbia Mental Health Information Act, D.C. Code Section 6-2041, that I wish to obtain copies of the following documents in the custody the George Washington University Medical Center.

(a.)  all raw data pertaining to psychological testing administered by Yu-Ling Han in May 1994 (including but not limited to raw data pertaining to the Rorschach test and Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory [MMPI]);

(b.)  report prepared by Yu-Ling Han that summarizes the results of the psychological testing administered in May 1994;

(c.) all raw data pertaining to psychological testing administered by Ramin Mojtabai, M.D. in March 1996;

(d.)  report prepared by Ramin Mojtabai, M.D. that summarizes the results of the psychological testing administered in March 1996,

I would like to forward the above-referenced documents to the U.S. Department of Justice and/or the U.S. Social Security Administration so that these agencies might review the test data and possibly undertake an independent analysis of the test data.

At this time I would like to state the following concerns regarding the test report prepared by Ramin Mojtabai, M.D., which you reviewed with  me at our consultation on Wednesday April 17, 1996.  Specifically, I believe that Dr. Mojtabai consistently used negative or ambiguous test results, consistent with either normality or psychosis, to conclude that I suffer from a psychotic condition.  Dr. Mojtabai’s conclusions therefore raise issues of concern for both the U.S. Social Security Administration and federal law enforcement officials relating, respectively, to (a.) my continued eligibility for disability benefits, and (b.) my potential for violence and mental capacity in the event I were to be prosecuted for a crime of violence.  Dr. Mojtabai’s statements “are consistent with” my continued eligibility for Social Security disability payments and “consistent with” a psychotic mental state that might preclude or impair my prosecution for a crime of violence,.

1.  I am concerned by Dr. Mojtabai’s statement that the results of the Wisconsin Scales of Psychosis Proneness (WSPP), which were within the normal range (6 nonperseverative errors), are nonetheless consistent with the existence of a delusional disorder.  By analogy, negative EEG results may not necessarily rule out a neurological disorder; but it would be overstating the case to say that negative EEG results are consistent with the existence of a neurological disorder.  I am concerned that negative findings that are consistent with either normality or pathology are used by Dr. Mojtabai to support the existence of pathology.

2.  I am concerned about Dr. Mojtabai’s statement that the WSPP results are consistent with the prior Rorschach and MMPI results--and therefore support the existence of a delusional disorder when in fact the prior administered Rorschach and MMPI failed to yield any diagnosis and did not indicate any psychotic thought processes.  Indeed, Yu-Ling Han expressly states in the 1994 test report that I might have lied on the tests in order to conceal my paranoia, which clearly indicates that the tests failed to disclose paranoia  One wonders how normal range WSPP results that are consistent with the prior normal range Rorschach and MMPI can nonetheless support the existence of a delusional disorder.

Of additional concern is the fact that Yu-Ling Han singled out an elevated paranoia scale on the 1994 MMPI to conclude a tendency toward paranoia and suspiciousness in my interpersonal relations;  Yu-Ling Han’s procedure is directly inconsistent with the recommendations of experts in the field of psychological testing, who caution that an elevated score on the MMPI paranoia scale 1/ should not be used to infer paranoia since an elevated paranoia scale in itself is also consistent with healthy inquisitiveness and skepticism.  See Anastasia, A. Psychological Testing (see Appendix A, attached).  One assumes that any good lawyer (or FBI agent) would have an elevated score on the MMPI paranoia scale.

3.  See Letter to the U.S. Secret Service dated January 6, 1995 (attached).  I am concerned that Dr. Mojtabai omitted material facts concerning an interaction I had with the former manager of my apartment building, Elaine Wranik, during the week of November 4, 1991.  I took care to explain these facts to Dr. Mojtabai, but he chose to ignore them in his written report; he reported only that portion of my belief system that supported the existence of a delusional disorder.

Sincerely,

Gary Freedman
____________________________
1/  Cf. Tarter, R.E. and Perley, R. N. “Clinical and Perceptual Characteristics of Paranoids and Paranoid Schizophrenics.”  J. Clin. Psychol. 31: 42-44 (1975) (see Appendix A to this letter).  The study found that paranoid schizophrenics score in a characteristic, multidimensional fashion on the MMPI.

[Appendices A and B omitted].

3 comments:

My Daily Struggles said...

This letter is inconsistent with an intent on my part to defraud the U.S. Social Security Administration.

My Daily Struggles said...

I was later advised that it is standard practice by psychologists to destroy test raw data.

My Daily Struggles said...

http://dailstrug.blogspot.com/2010/09/did-william-d-fabian-phd-commit.html