Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Author in Search of a Publisher: Williams & Connolly Connections

In July 2001 Rita Braver of CBS News interviewed the politically-connected novelist Michael Chabon on the CBS News show Sunday Morning about his then latest novel The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.




Rita Braver is married to the Williams & Connolly partner, Robert B. Barnett.  Barnett happens to be a book publishing agent.  I sent Mr. Barnett an email in the fall of 2005 requesting his representation of my book Significant Moments.  He politely declined.

Coincidentally, Williams & Connolly partner David Kendall represented President Clinton in the Senate impeachment trial in the late 1990s.

Akin Gump partner Vernon E Jordan, Jr., himself a published author, has connections to CBS News.  But then, Vernon Jordan has connections to everybody!

email message dated November 2, 2005 to Robert Barnett at Williams & Connolly: 

Mr. Barnett,

I have completed a manuscript that may be of publishable quality, and I am inquiring into securing your services as a literary agent.

The manuscript -- the complete text of which can be accessed on the internet at http://signmomentsone.blogspot.com -- is a personal memoir that is unusual in structure.  It is written entirely in the form of quotations from published material, primarily from classic literature and historical and biographical texts.  I appreciate the fact that the manuscript poses substantial copyright problems.

The book took shape over a ten-year period as a collection of interweaving personal associations to, and identifications with, historical and literary figures.

The content of the text features material on Freud and psychoanalysis, the world of opera, Jewish history, and biblical references.  Beyond that, the text is difficult to describe.  The several persons I have shared the manuscript with have found it unique and remarkable.

I would appreciate any comments you have about the manuscript's publishability.

Regards,

GARY FREEDMAN
3801 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Apartment 136
Washington, DC  20008
(202) 362 7064

email message dated August 31, 2005 to Eric Holder at Covington & Burling:

Mr. Holder, 

If you're at all interested, you can access my webpage at 
garfreed.blogspot.com

I respect the fact that you are a busy professional, 
Mr. Holder, but I have admired you since your days 
as a U.S. Attorney.  And incidentally, Robert Barnett, 
Esq. at Williams & Connolly (who is a literary agent) 
emailed a "Thanks" in response to my recent communication 
to him.

Kind regards,

GARY FREEDMAN
PA ATTY ID 41032

____________________________________________

  Subject:    RE: 
  Date:    8/26/2005 5:39:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time 
  From:    "Barnett, Robert" <RBarnett@wc.com> 
  To:    Lettheworldseewh@netscape.net 
 « Previous  |  Next »   
  
       Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lettheworldseewh@netscape.net [mailto:Lettheworldseewh@netscape.net]

Sent: Friday, August 26, 2005 12:11 PM
To: Barnett, Robert

Subject:

Mr. Barnett, 

In case you're interested, you can access my 
web page at garfreed.blogspot.com 
Please send my regards to Ms. Braver. 
I really enjoyed her interview of the 
novelist Michael Chabon (author of "The 
Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" 
and "The Mysteries of Pittsburgh") from 
several years back. 

Best wishes, 

GARY FREEDMAN

7 comments:

My Daily Struggles said...

In the winter of 2010 I was interviewed by the Department of Justice about my latest book, Significant Moments, but it wasn't broadcast on CBS News.

My Daily Struggles said...

Straight from Sitka, Alaska:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Yiddish_Policemen's_Union

My Daily Struggles said...

My Myspace page lists Michael Chabon's book The Mysteries of Pittsburgh as my all-time favorite book.

http://www.myspace.com/garyfreedman

My Daily Struggles said...

I love it when people email the link to one of my blog posts. It says I have arrived!

Cox Communications (68.100.8.205)

Alexandria, Virginia, United States

Date Time Type WebPage

14th November 2010 02:08:23 PM

Page View

us.mg2.mail.yahoo.com/dc/blank.html?bn=504.5&.intl=us&.lang=en-US
dailstrug.blogspot.com/2010/11/williams-connolly-connections.html

My Daily Struggles said...

The following is a parody I wrote in 2005 of a New York Times piece by Michael Chabon:

http://garfreed.blogspot.com/2005/08/whos-on-first_17.html

My Daily Struggles said...

Michael Chabon's wife Ayelet Waldman is a lawyer.

My Daily Struggles said...

I sent an email in 2005 to Eric Holder (Covington & Burling)about my communication with Robert Barnett (Williams & Connolly).

http://dailstrug.blogspot.com/2010/11/email-message-to-attorney-general.html