Friday, August 05, 2011

I Wonder What Happened to my Friend, Brad Dolinsky?

Brad Dolinsky, M.D. moved into my apartment building in 2003.  He was working on a residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.  He was a terrific guy.  He moved out in 2007, upon the completion of his residency training program.  Brad was a special person who had won a national award for excellence in medical writing for a paper that he published in his field.  He had earned his bachelor's degree from Columbia University.  I still think about Brad.  The front desk manager in my building, Mardi, said that Dr. Dolinsky was somebody that his superiors -- highly ranked people in his field -- had their eyes on.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15368314

I have nostalgic memories of the year 2003. I'm not precisely sure why that is. I think perhaps the reason is that I turned 50 that year. Fifty is a transitional age, I suppose; the year 2003 was a transitional year for me in some ways.

One of my former psychiatrists, Dr. Lawrence C. Sack, MD, died on August 5, 2003; his office was located on the second floor of my apartment building. I remember the note Dr. Sack's son, Robert Sack, MD -- also a psychiatrist --left on Dr. Sack's office door advising his father's patients of Dr. Sack's death. I remember so clearly the Saturday following his death. I lay on my couch all afternoon, stared into space, and listened to the slow movement of Beethoven's ninth symphony again and again. I was devastated by Dr. Sack's passing.


My apartment building opened up its new fitness room, and I started using the elliptical machine for the first time. I remember it was around the time of the Iraq war, specifically the fall of Saddam Hussein. I remember watching coverage of the Iraq war on the TV in the fitness room.

I turned 50 on December 23, 2003.

I started writing letters to my friend Brian Brown in about April 2003, leaving the letters on the hard drive on the public access computers at the library. Brian used to be the branch manager at the library. He later lied to the DC police, saying he never read the letters -- and that he just happened to read the one letter I wrote to him in which I called him a fag, in April 2004. Ha!

My apartment manager David Castleberry left and we got a new manager.

My apartment building was redecorated. The lobby was totally redone. A new faux marble floor was installed. The halls were painted, and molding was installed on the doorways to all the apartments.

Elizabeth Joyce, the front desk manager at my apartment building, went on vacation in July 2003 and never returned. She retired at the end of her vacation. Tim Norton replaced Elizabeth Joyce, then Mardi replaced Tim.

I saw Dr. Israella Bash as my case manager for the first time on about May 3, 2003. She said: "Why aren't you working? You can work. I'm not saying you can work as a lawyer. Lawyers work 70-80 hours a week. But you can work as a paralegal. It's a sin in the Jewish religion not to work." I said, "Dr. Bash, where are you from?" She said: "Israel. I'm a fifth generation Israeli."

My therapy with Dr. Nancy Shaffer ended in early 2003. I had started to see Dr. Shaffer in September 1999. I started seeing Meghana Tembe at the George Washington University Center For Professional Psychology in early 2003.

I remember Yom Kippur so clearly. It was a beautiful, warm late summer day: Monday October 6, 2003. I visited the Madison Building at the Library of Congress. October 6 was also a Monday in the year 1986; it was the day Craig W. Dye started working at Hogan & Hartson.

I got a new neighbor that year. He was an affable, young Frenchman. I never learned his name.

5 comments:

My Daily Struggles said...

Internet Review of 3801 Connecticut

Date posted: 1/9/2005

Years at this apartment: 2003 - 2004

When I moved in, the advertised hardwood floor had been covered by ratty carpet (with the nailboards still exposed in most places, i might add) due to a pet stain left by the previous owner. The pet stain left quite a horrid smell in the apartment that I was able to get rid of after a few months of Febreze and carpet treatments. The studio apartment itself was small, but you really can't beat the location for the price (it was only $899 when I lived there). The worst part is honestly the fat old lady that sits in the lobby all day in her dressing gown (Isabel Fine). Nice old lady, but seriously, put some clothes on. There is nothing worse than bringing someone over to your place only to have an oversized woman in a threadbare nighty sitting right there. The maintenance people were great; I blew a fuse a couple times by overloading the sockets, and the guy was there within minutes (on a Sunday mind you) to fix it. And the people at the front desk were always really nice (especially Mardi).

My Daily Struggles said...

From 2009:

There was a great turnout at the Beach Olympics and Tug of War competition – over ninety people came out to play! At the ever popular Tri-Service Jeopardy competition, the Army triumphed for a third year in a row thanks to the Army’s stellar team comprised of GEN Kevin Kiley, COL John Farley, MAJ Brad Dolinsky, and CPT Benjamin Kase!

My Daily Struggles said...

Brad Dolinsky was my imaginary friend. I had the paranoid idea he knew who I was. I think maybe Mardi talked to him about me. Dr. Dolinsky was friendly with Mardi.

My Daily Struggles said...

Both Leonard Bernstein and Dr. Sack went to Harvard.

My Daily Struggles said...

Otto Klemperer conducting the Beethoven 9th:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3M3rqgSqQw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnkDiSdOxFc

Otto Klemperer (14 May 1885 – 6 July 1973) was a German conductor and composer. He is widely regarded as one of the leading conductors of the 20th century. In 1933, once the Nazi party had reached power, Klemperer, who was Jewish, left Germany and moved to the United States. Klemperer had previously converted to Catholicism, but returned to Judaism at the end of his life. One of his last concert tours was to Jerusalem. Klemperer had performed in Palestine before the state of Israel declared its independence, and returned to Jerusalem only in 1970 to conduct the Israeli Broadcasting Authority Symphonic Orchestra in two concerts, performing the six Brandenburg Concerti and Mozart's symphonies 39, 40 and 41. During this tour he took Israeli citizenship. He retired from conducting in 1971. Klemperer died in Zurich, Switzerland in 1973, aged 88, and was buried in Zurich's Israelitischer Friedhof-Oberer Friesenberg.