Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Letter to FBI -- 1995 -- Social Security Fraud

January 31, 1995
3801 Connecticut Ave., NW
#136
Washington, DC  20008

Federal Bureau of Investigation
Washington Field Office
1900 Half Street, SW
Washington, DC  20324-1600

RE:  Freedman v. Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld

Dear Sir:

The enclosed materials are forwarded for your general information.

1.  Letter of reference prepared by a former employer, Thomas W. Jennings, Esq., in late 1981.

2.  Letter of reference by a former law professor, Seymour J. Rubin, dated July 15, 1985.  Professor Rubin has been one of the country’s leading figures in the field of international trade law; earlier in his career Seymour Rubin formed a law partnership with James Landis, who later served as dean of Harvard Law School.

International trade is a major practice area of my former employer, the law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld.  Indeed, founding partner Robert S. Strauss served as U.S. Trade Representative in the administration of President Jimmy Carter.  One of Akin Gump’s international trade partners, Patrick F. J. MacCrory was one of my instructors at American University.

3.  Letter dated February 14, 1985 to me from Akin Gump’s then Hiring Committee Chairman, Warren E. Connelly, acknowledging that I possess the minimum credentials for consideration for an associate position with Akin Gump.

During my tenure at Akin Gump an agency-supplied temporary employee, Jan Fraser-Smith, was promoted to law clerk; a legal assistant, Brian Burns, was promoted to associate; a legal assistant, Lilliam Machado, who had resigned her position to attend law school, was later hired as associate upon attaining her law degree; and I believe that another legal assistant, Sanford Ring, who had resigned his position to attend law school, was later hired as associate upon attaining his law degree.

On October 29, 1991 Mr. Connelly’s successor as Hiring Committee chairman, Dennis M,. Race, terminated my employment days after I had requested a promotion to the position for which I had originally been hired, namely, legal assistant, and complained that I was a victim of harassment.  Dennis Race and managing partner Laurence J. Hoffman subsequently had the Government of the District of Columbia (Department of Human Rights) certify me insane and potentially violent on the basis of evidence they had apparently fabricated, and failed to disavow statements of a senior supervisor that I might be armed and homicidal.

Oddly, Akin Gump’s Response to my discrimination complaint filed with the D.C. Department of Human Rights omits any mention of the fact that I had requested of Dennis Race and Malcolm Lassman, another of Akin Gump’s attorney managers, that I be promoted to legal assistant (although Akin Gump does admit, by virtue of a memorandum appended as an attachment to its Response, that I had in fact requested promotion.  See Akin Gump’s Response at Attachment E--Confidential Memo from Earl Segal to File, dated October 23, 1991).  Akin Gump’s omission of a material fact--namely, that I was terminated, notwithstanding an exemplary employment history, just days after I requested promotion--has the earmarks of an attempt to knowingly conceal the discriminatory refusal to promote.

I had brought all these issues to the attention of the D.C. Department of Human Rights; the agency found no evidence of discrimination, but instead found that I was insane.

Sincerely,

Gary Freedman

2 comments:

My Daily Struggles said...

For some unexplained reason I was demoted to the Litigation Support group in March 1990. Akin Gump concealed the demotion by referring to it as a "transfer" or "transition" to the Litigation Support group.

My Daily Struggles said...

"In an attempt to find comparable work for the Claimant, a decision was made to transfer him to the Litigation Support Department."

"During his transition from a legal assistant position (paralegal) to his work with the litigation support department, Claimant had several discussions with his direct supervisor about problems with interacting with co-workers and occasional outbursts (See Attachment 4)."

http://dailstrug.blogspot.com/2009/12/social-security-administration-initial.html

If Akin Gump was not committing a discriminatory practice in employment, why did the firm conceal the fact that the "transfer" or "transition" was in fact a demotion?