Monday, October 31, 2011

SSA Claim: Prompt Disclosure of Fraud

I applied for disability benefits from the U.S. Social Security Administration on April 20, 1993.  I advised SSA of infirmities in my former employer's determination that I suffered from a severe mental illness that rendered me unemployable.  SSA granted my claim for benefits effective August 17, 1993.  It was  not until September 24, 1993 -- about five weeks later -- that the D.C. Department of Human Rights issued its Determination on Reconsideration rejecting my arguments that my job termination was unlawful and rejecting written evidence that I had submitted to the agency tending to show that Akin Gump did not in fact consult Gertrude R. Ticho, M.D. or the Sheppard Pratt Employee Assistance Program, who supposedly concurred in the firm's decision to terminate my employment for mental health reasons.  As of August 1993 Akin Gump had an outstanding invitation to mediate the unlawful job termination Complaint issued by DHR on February 4, 1992.

August 23, 1993
3801 Connecticut Avenue, NW
#136
Washington, DC  20008

Social Security Administration
Office of Disability and
   International Operations
1500 Woodlawn Drive
Baltimore, MD  21241-0001

RE: Disability Claim no. xxx-xx-xxxx

Dear Sir:

This is to advise that my letters dated August 20, 1993 and August 21, 1993 were intended to draw your attention to infirmities in the investigation record in my case, and were not written with the intent to withdraw my claim for disability benefits.

My former employer, the law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld, continues to refuse to reinstate my employment, and continues to maintain that I suffer from a serious mental disturbance that renders me not suitable for employment.

Additional investigation of my claim may be required to resolve inconsistencies in the investigation record.

My telephone number is (202) 362-7064; you may leave a message at (202) 363-3800.

Sincerely,

Gary Freedman

No comments: