Thursday, October 06, 2011

Desperate Letter to U.S. Secret Service -- May 1996

In early 1996 my then treating psychiatrist Dimitrios Georgopoulos, M.D. advised me that the George Washington University Medical Center would terminate my twice-weekly psychotherapy effective the end of June 1996 due to changes in GW's out-patient policies.  Dr. Georgopoulos assured me that he would assist me in finding alternative psychiatric care.  The following desperate letter I wrote to the U.S. Secret Service is evidence that GW was doing absolutely nothing to help me locate alternative treatment.

Dr. Georgopoulos diagnosed me with paranoid schizophrenia in February 1996.

The U.S. Secret Service did not communicate with me concerning the following letter.  As of the writing of the following letter in 1996 Mrs. Tipper Gore, wife of then Vice-President Al Gore, was active in mental health issues.

May 20, 1996
3801 Connecticut Ave., NW
#136
Washington, DC  20008-4530

Philip C. Leadroot
Special Agent
U.S. Secret Service
Washington Field Office

Dear Mr. Leadroot:

I thought I would provide you with an update of my current status.  Things are becoming more and more desperate for me.

I continue to believe that I was a victim of harassment at the law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld.  D.C. Corporation Counsel Charles F.C. Ruff has affirmed that Malcolm Lassman and Dennis M. Race, two attorney managers at Akin Gump, spoke with a psychiatrist about me who said my belief that I was harassed was based on "ideas of reference," a mental process that is often associated with violent behavior.  According to Mr. Ruff, Dennis Race's concern that I was potentially violent and that I posed a danger to co-workers was genuine.  Apparently Mr. Race was afraid--I mean really afraid of what I was liable to do.

"Ideas of reference" are common in paranoid schizophrenia.  John Hinckley, found not guilty by reason of insanity in the attempted assassination of President Reagan, suffers from paranoid schizophrenia.  John Hinckley literally got away with attempted murder because of what a psychiatrist said about him.

D.C. Corporation Counsel Charles F.C. Ruff has determined that my supervisor's action in securing her office against an armed assault to be carried out by me is not evidence of a hostile work environment.  Mr. Ruff has determined that my supervisor's action in telling her employees that I might return to the office to kill all the employees is not evidence of a hostile work environment.

My situation is really serious.  What will become of me?

Sincerely,

Gary Freedman

cc: The Washington Post (tentative)
Mrs. Tipper Gore (tentative)

2 comments:

My Daily Struggles said...

I did not send this letter to the listed copyees.

My Daily Struggles said...

It is my recollection that this letter was my reaction to the D.C. Corporation Counsel's filing of its Reply Brief in D.C. Superior Court in mid-May 1996 in Freedman v. D.C. Dept. Human Rights.