Friday, May 07, 2010

U.S. Secret Service: "There are lawyers in the Justice Department who think you're a nut case!"

In February 1996 a U.S. Secret Service agent said to me: "There are lawyers in the Justice Department who think you're a nut case."  In May 1997, I thought I would cash in on that statement.  Always the opportunist!

May 16, 1997
3801 Connecticut Ave., NW
#136
Washington, DC 20008-4530

Richard Frank, Esq.
Criminal Division
U.S. Department of Justice
Washington, DC 20530-0002

RE: SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY CLAIM xxx xx xxxx -- CONTINUING DISABILITY REVIEW

Dear Mr. Frank:

I currently receive disability benefits paid by the U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA). SSA has advised me by letter dated April 26, 1997, a copy of which is enclosed, that the agency is starting to review my disability claim.

In February 1996 the U.S. Secret Service (Philip C. Leadroot, S.A., Washington Area Field Office) advised me that attorneys in the (criminal division) of the U.S. Department of Justice had arrived at a determination regarding my mental health and stability based on a review of documents that I had forwarded to the U.S. Department of Justice (John C. Keeney, Jr., acting assistant attorney general). See attached letter to Philip C. Leadroot, dated May 13, 1997, particularly paragraph 5 relating to reported statements of U.S. Department of Justice attorneys to the U.S. Secret Service regarding my mental health and stability. The said mental health determination is relevant to my disability claim and, therefore, I request that you submit any information relevant to the reported mental health assessment to SSA in connection with SSA's review of my continued eligibility for disability benefits.

In the event that the reported mental health assessment was made in consultation with any mental health consultants, I enclose an executed release of information form that will enable any mental health consultant employed by the U.S. Department of Justice to disclose to SSA the content of any mental health assessment made in connection with concerns of the U.S. Department of Justice concerning my mental health and stability.

Additionally, for your information I enclose a confidential memorandum dated October 29, 1991 prepared by Dennis M. Race, Esq. of the law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld concerning Mr. Race's determination, made in consultation with a psychiatrist, that, as of 1991, I suffered from a psychiatric symptom that rendered me potentially violent, a negligence risk to the employer, and not suitable for employment. You may review this matter with Mr. Race at (202) 887-4028, including the determination made in October 1991 by senior managers at Akin Gump that I posed a homicide risk that required corrective measures by the firm.

My motivation in writing this letter relates solely to the review by SSA of my continued eligibility for disability benefits, and is written in compliance with SSA rules.

Sincerely,

Gary Freedman

No comments: