Tuesday, June 21, 2011

William D. Brown, Ph.D. -- Circumstantial Evidence of Unethical Conduct

I met with Judy Peres on November 26, 1990 at Sheppard Pratt Employee Assistance Programs to obtain a referral to a hypnotherapist.  Judy Peres provided me the following form with contact information for Stephen R. Stein, Ph.D., a psychologist who does hypnotherapy.  I had an initial consult  with Dr. Stein in about mid-March 1991.   I advised Dr. Stein that I believed that I was under surveillance by my employer, and stated that I was concerned Dr. Stein might share confidential mental health information about me to my employer.  Dr. Stein seemed alarmed at what appeared to be paranoid delusions.  Dr. Stein advised me that given the possible severity of my mental illness he could not treat me since I might require medication.  As a Ph.D. psychologist Dr. Stein was precluded from prescribing medication.  Dr. Stein provided me a referral to Norman L. Wilson, M.D., a psychiatrist who had an office on Connecticut Avenue.  I consulted Dr. Stein only once.  I consulted Dr. Wilson once.  Incidentally, Dr. Stein has experience working with holocaust survivors.

I began seeing William D. Brown, Ph.D., a psychologist who was also precluded from prescribing medication.  I had twenty consults with Dr. Brown from May to October 1991.  I told Dr. Brown about my seemingly paranoid belief system.  Curiously, Dr. Brown continued to treat me, and did not refer me for treatment with a psychiatrist as Dr. Stein had done.  I found Dr. Brown's failure to refer me to a psychiatrist as possible evidence that he was colluding with my then employer, the law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld.

Sheppard Pratt
A not-for-profit health system

Sheppard Pratt Employee Assistance Programs

EAP TREATMENT PROVIDER REFERRAL FORM

NAME: Stephen Stein, Ph.D.

OFFICE ADDRESS:

4025 Connecticut Ave Suite 2
Washington, D.C. 20008

OFFICE PHONE:

(202) 745-2661/(202)

LICENSED AS Ph.D.

NAME:

Stephen R. Stein, Ph.D.

OFFICE ADDRESS:

3000 Connecticut Ave., NW
Washington, DC  20008

OFFICE PHONE:

(202) 745-2556  (202) 244-2316

No comments: