Monday, September 06, 2010

A Sister from the Projects Sings Strauss

Es sind die mehreren Dinge auf der Welt,
so daß sie ein's nicht glauben tät',
wenn man sie möcht' erzählen hör'n.
Alleinig wer's erlebt, der glaubt daran . . .

Most things in this world
are unbelievable
when you hear about them.
But when they happen to you, you believe them . . .



The Presentation of the Rose from Act II of Der Rosenkavalier. Reri Grist was born in New York City in 1932. She grew up in the East River Houses Project.

3 comments:

My Daily Struggles said...

Bernstein is conducting. Note the very slow tempos. Some music he conducted very slowly -- Tristan Prelude and Liebestod, The Beethoven 7th (in his last concert), the Strauss trio here. This is from 1968 in Vienna.

My Daily Struggles said...

In March 1968, when I was in the 9th grade, my high school orchestra performed both these excerpts under maestro Sidney Rothstein. I played 2d violin. Rothstein should put the performance on YouTube.

I guess you could say that what you don't know is that you'll be 14 for the rest of your life.

My Daily Struggles said...

Hugo Hofmann von Hofmannsthal, who wrote the libretto to Der Rosenkavalier, was half-Jewish.

Strauss and Hofmann were a power house.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_von_Hofmannsthal