Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Job Harassment and PTSD

Natalie Nichols
McClendon Center
DC CSA
Washington, DC 

Ms. Nichols,

Please note that Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is consistent with a subtle form of job harassment known as mobbing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobbing#In_the_workplace

I have a problem with Nurse Carroll telling me that I was not a victim of job harassment and that my former employer was justified in terminating my employment after I complained about job harassment.  My question to Nurse Carroll is -- if I was not a victim of job harassment, where did the PTSD come from?

I complained about suffering from PTSD as a result of my employment problems in a letter to then U.S. Attorney Eric H. Holder, Jr. way back in January 1994:

http://dailstrug.blogspot.com/2010/11/what-did-eric-holder-know-and-when-did_3398.html

Gary Freedman
Washington, DC




-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Freedman <garfreed@aim.com>
To: dhobb <dhobb@mcclendoncenter.org>
Sent: Wed, Sep 18, 2013 10:24 am
Subject: social security claim

Mr. Hobb:

The document at the following site was part of my initial application for U.S. Social Security Disability benefits, which I made in 1993.  I never told Social Security that I was disabled or that I believed I suffered from a psychiatric disorder.  I expressly told Social Security that I believed I was employable.  The original document was signed by me under penalty of perjury for making false statements.

http://dailstrug.blogspot.com/2011/05/social-security-initial-claim-veracity.html

I believe that I am a crime victim, specifically, that I am the victim of a fraud and racketeering conspiracy carried out by my former employer, the law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld.  McClendon's diagnosis of PTSD is consistent with my being a crime victim.   McClendon's diagnosis of Delusional (Paranoid) Disorder is consistent with the so-called Martha Mitchell effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Mitchell_effect

I urge the McClendon Center to assist federal law enforcement in the investigation of this matter.

Gary Freedman
Washington, DC

2 comments:

My Daily Struggles said...

Mr. Freedman,

At the McClendon Center we take allegations of Medicare/Medicaid fraud and abuse very seriously.

Actual fraud would have been committed if Nurse Carroll had billed for services that she didn't provide. I have no reason to believe that she did not see you on the days for which she billed, so I believe no fraud was committed.

Abuse can encompass a range of issues. It can vary from claiming too much (or too little) time with the patient, or it can be committed if you did not have a valid treating diagnosis. Your file contains the following diagnoses: Delusional Disorder (297.1), Major Depression Recurrent Severe Without Psychotic Features (296.33), Alcohol Dependence in Sustained Remission (303.90), and PTSD (309.81), and Schizoid Personality Disorder (301.20). These diagnoses were made by Aimee Calderone-Burgess, who is a Licensed Independent Clinical Social worker, and therefore qualified to diagnose mental health conditions in the District of Columbia. As you have valid DSM diagnoses and are being
appropriately treated by an Advance Practice Registered Nurse, I believe your allegations of Medicare/Medicaid fraud are unfounded.

However, it is your prerogative to contact an appropriate agency such as the Office of Health Care Ombudsman to register your concerns. You have my assurance that we will cooperate fully in any investigation conducted by any oversight agency at which you register a complaint.

Dennis Hobb

My Daily Struggles said...

Psychological and health effects of workplace mobbing

Victims of workplace mobbing frequently suffer from: adjustment disorders, somatic symptoms (e.g., headaches or irritable bowel syndrome), psychological trauma, post-traumatic stress disorder and major depression.

In mobbing targets with PTSD, Leymann notes that the "mental effects were fully comparable with PTSD from war or prison camp experiences. Some patients may develop alcoholism or other substance abuse disorders. Family relationships routinely suffer. Some targets may even develop brief psychotic episodes, generally with paranoid symptoms. Leymann estimated that 15% of suicides in Sweden could be directly attributed to workplace mobbing.