Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Akin Gump -- OSHA Complaint

Thank You!

Your Safety and Health Hazard Notice has been forwarded to the OSHA Federal Area Office listed below.
If you identified yourself, you will be contacted by OSHA.
Please call the OSHA Federal Area Office below if you are not contacted.

Complaint Number: 982962

District of Columbia
Baltimore/Washington Area Office
1099 Winterson Road
Suite 140
Linthicum, Maryland 21090
(410) 865-2055/2056
(410) 865-2068 FAX

Establishment Name: Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld (Washington, DC office)
Site Street: 1333 New Hampshire Ave., NW, Suite 400
Site City: Washington
Site State: District of Columbia
Site Zip: DC
Management Official: Dennis M. Race, Esq.
Telephone Number: 202 887 4028
Type of Business: law firm
Hazard Description:

1. On September 17, 2013 I was advised by my mental health treatment provider, The McClendon Center (Washington, DC), that the provider had diagnosed me with the following currently existing disorders: Delusional Disorder (297.1), Major Depression Recurrent Severe Without Psychotic Features (296.33), Alcohol Dependence in Sustained Remission (303.90), and PTSD (309.81), and Schizoid Personality Disorder (301.20). Paranoia, Major Depression, Alcohol Dependence and PTSD are recognized consequences of workplace mobbing a subtle form of job harassment defined by a federal court as a form of "group harassment" that involves "a process of abusive behaviors inflicted over time." Sousa v. Roque, Docket No. 07-1892-CV, August 21, 2009. OSHA defines "workplace violence" as harassment of any nature. Workplace mobbing is a subtle form of job harassment. On September 17, 2013 I became aware for the first time that there was a causal connection between my current diagnosed symptoms and disorders and the abusive work environment to which I was subjected during the period June 13, 1988 to October 29, 1991.

2. I was a victim of workplace mobbing during my tenure at the Washington, DC office of the law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld (1988-1991). The firm terminated my employment effective October 29, 1991, days after I complained to senior managers (Dennis M. Race, Esq., Malcolm Lassman, and Earl Segal, Esq.) that I was a victim of subtle job harassment.

 3. The U.S. Social Security Administration determined that I became disabled and not suitable for employment effective October 29, 1991, based on a sworn declaration filed by Dennis M. Race, Esq. and Laurence J. Hoffman (of Akin Gump) with the D.C. Department of Human Rights on May 22, 1992. I have been continuously unemployed and disabled since October 29, 1991.

4. The Government of the District of Columbia determined that my allegations of facts concerning the abusive workplace environment at Akin Gump were genuine and truthful. Brief of Appellee District of Columbia, Freedman v. D.C. Department of Human Rights, D.C.C.A. no. 96-CV-961 (Sept. 1, 1998). http://dailstrug.blogspot.com/2010/10/akin-gump-hostile-work-environment.html

5. During my employment I was subjected to false, malicious, delusional and unfounded statements that tended to damage my reputation and inflicted severe emotional distress. OSHA specifically defines these behaviors as forms of verbal intimidation that constitute "workplace violence."

--In August 1989 a coworker stated to me: "We're all afraid of you. We're all afraid you're going to buy a gun, bring it in, and shoot everybody."

--In late October 1991 my supervisor reportedly advised her employees (my coworkers) that she was afraid I was going to kill her and had arranged to have the locks to the office suite changed to prevent my entry. Neither the supervisor nor her superiors contacted law enforcement.

--On May 22, 1992 Dennis M. Race, Esq. and Laurence J. Hoffman, Esq., two Akin Gump attorney managers, advised the D.C. Department of Human Rights that the firm had consulted a psychiatrist about me and that the psychiatrist had opined that I appeared to suffer from a psychiatric "disorder" and that I might become violent. The psychiatrist had never examined me personally and her opinion violated the American Psychiatric Association's so-called Goldwater Rule which prohibits a psychiatrist from offering a professional psychiatric opinion about an individual without benefit of personal examination and without the individual's consent for the opinion. The D.C. Department of Human Rights determined that the psychiatric opinion was genuine and credible. In fact, the opinion was defamatory on its face and had no medical reliability. I have been denied the protections of the Americans with Disabilities Act because I am considered "potentially violent, " i.e., a "direct threat in the workplace" based on the above-referenced defamatory allegation made by Akin Gump, a defamatory allegation that was affirmed as genuine and credible by the D.C. Department of Human Rights. The U.S. Supreme Court has held private citizens to be liable as state actors when they conspire with government officials to deprive persons of their rights. Thus, my former employer, Akin Gump may have committed a "color of law violation," a felony that falls within the investigative jurisdiction of the FBI. See 18 USC § 241 (Conspiracy against rights).

Hazard Location:

The Robert S. Strauss Building, 1333 New Hampshire Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20036

This condition has previously been brought to the attention of:
* The employer
* The following government agency: U.S. Social Security Administration, D.C. Department of Human Rights
I am an employee.
My name may be revealed to the employer.
Complainant Name: Gary Freedman
Complainant Telephone Number: 202 362 7064
Complainant Mailing Address:

3801 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Apt. 136
Washington
District of Columbia
20008

Complainant Email: garfreed@netscape.net