Saturday, January 14, 2012

Why I Blog

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who has a large mezuzah prayer scroll on the doorpost in her chambers, writes: "I am a judge, born, raised, and proud of being a Jew. The demand for justice runs through the entirety of Jewish history and Jewish tradition. I hope, in all the years I have the good fortune to serve on the bench of the Supreme Court,  I will have the strength and courage to remain steadfast in the service of that demand."


I personally identify strongly with Judea Pearl's description of the Jews: "I see Jews as the scouts of civilization -- the ones who question conventional wisdom and constantly seek the exploration of new pathways." Pearl sees a long line of these Jewish "scouts," from Abraham challenging idolatry to "Marx, Herzl and Freud, down to Einstein, Gershwin and the civil rights activists of the 1960s." For centuries, Jews have also been "border-challengers, idol-smashers, and boat-rockers."

No comments: