Monday, January 09, 2012

Akin Gump Surveillance: Apartment Manager

While I worked at the law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld I used to leave notes in a prominent place in my apartment based on my paranoid belief that the manager of my building, Elaine Wranik, inspected my apartment surreptitiously every day and reported to Akin Gump what she saw.

Here is one note I left for Elaine Wranik during the summer of 1991.  Note that I elaborated these notes about three months later (in late December 1991) in the following writing, which, apparently, I had been thinking about for some time.  That is, the following writing was not a direct reaction to my job termination on October 29, 1991, but rather reflected a train of thought that had occupied me earlier in 1991.


http://dailstrug.blogspot.com/2011/07/surveillance-fantasy-interpretation.html
_________________________________

EGO ADAPTATION

I.  Pasternak himself falls victim to the very forces to which his fictional creation, Zhivago, falls victim.

-- Example of form of Alloplastic adaptation in which the environment is pressed into the service of the ego to combat instinctual threats.

-- Where this form of alloplastic adaptation exists then we have not simply an identity of motive, ability, content, and structure in the creation but identity of motive, ability, content, structure, and audience reaction (compare Wagner--an important theme in his operas is the "miraculous rescue."  Wagner himself was "miraculously rescued" by King Ludwig of Bavaria).
______________________

II.  HERO MYTH (Freud/Rank)

Zhivago, the poet, separates self from Communists (Bolshevik "Brother Horde") after they have established their rule in place of the Czar (primal father) whom they have murdered.

1 comment:

My Daily Struggles said...

"Zhivago, the poet, separates self from Communists (Bolshevik "brother horde") after they have established their rule in place of the Czar (primal father) whom they have murdered."

Oddly enough, the above observation applies symbolically to Akin Gump. After Bob Strauss left the partnership in late August 1991 to assume the position of Ambassador to the Soviet Union, the Akin Gump management Committee established the rule of the "brother horde."

I probably had an intuitive sense of this going on at the time, in the summer of 1991.