Monday, February 07, 2011

Significant Moments: Stringing Quotes Together and "Stringing Quotes Together"

Some weeks before . . .
Mary Shelley, Frankenstein. 

. . . the great day arrived . . .
     Somerset Maugham, Of Human Bondage. 

. . . the rabbi . . .
Arthur Rubinstein, My Young Years.
. . . called me once and said he wanted a . . .
David Evanier, My Rabbi, Ray Charles, and Singing Birds. 
. . . meeting with me.
Thomas Hardy, The Woodlanders.
“Now,” he said . . .
Deborah Artman, Talking Points.

. . . when he saw me again . . .
Wilkie Collins, The Legacy of Cain. 

. . . “let’s get down to business.” He reached inside his jacket and pulled out . . .
Deborah Artman, Talking Points. 
. . . a copy of My . . .
Charles Dickens, Martin Chuzzlewit.
. . . bar mitzvah . . .
Arthur Rubinstein, My Young Years.
. . . oration.
Charles Dickens, Martin Chuzzlewit.
“How dare you give me this,” he growled. “This isn’t you!”
“What?” I managed to whisper. “But I used references.”
“You strung together quotes from books,” he said.
“I will give you a month.  Rewrite it.”
It was my terrible secret. I couldn’t tell . . .
Deborah Artman, Talking Points.
. . . my mother . . .
Brian Greene, The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory. 

. . . that I had to start again.
Deborah Artman, Talking Points.
But I can tell you now—
Zane Grey, Riders of the Purple Sage.

. . . my readers, . . .
Arthur Rubinstein, My Many Years.

I took a lot of trouble with that speech. I rewrote it five times and I look upon it as my masterpiece.
Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables.

_________________________________

To those who complain that I mock them, note that I do not spare myself from mockery!

2 comments:

My Daily Struggles said...

Brian Greene and Lisa Randall, both Jewish particle physicists, are friends who attended high school together in New York City.

http://dailstrug.blogspot.com/2010/09/physicist-lisa-randall-talks-opera-and.html

My Daily Struggles said...

Deborah Artman bio:

http://www.bam.org/view.aspx?pid=140