Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Harassment from the Strangest Quarters: The Gullible Asian

When I worked at the law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld a fellow employee during 1989 was a consultant named Bong Suh, an intellectually-gifted individual of Korean descent.

Bong Suh had dated Marjorie Levy, the daughter of Akin Gump tax partner, Charles Levy -- whose office on the third floor was adjacent to that of Bob Strauss.

The following is from a document submission I made, in June 1993, to Social Security in support of my disability claim.

"Shortly after I moved to office space on the sixth floor, on March 20, 1989, Bong Suh, who also worked on the sixth floor, said in a kind of mischievous tone of voice while passing by my desk, “It won’t be long now,” (Bong’s voice modulated upward during the phrase, and fell sharply while stating the work “now.”) Both the content and tone of Bong’s statement had an ominous quality about it. In fact, shortly after Stacey Schaar and Gwen Lesh moved to the sixth floor office space there began the most intense harassment I had experienced since I began working at Akin Gump in early March 1988.

The Eastern bankruptcy filing on Thursday March 9, 1989 may have contributed to the perception by certain Akin Gump employees that I had become vulnerable."

It's hard to believe that someone like Bong Suh would be involved in jealousy-based harassment of me, but it happened.  What on Earth did they tell him about me, and who was it who talked to him?

Here's Bong Suh with his father -- and the other John Roberts.


1 comment:

My Daily Struggles said...

I used to work at the DC law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld.

In early August 1989 a coworker, Stacey Schaar, said to me: "We're all afraid of you. We're all afraid you're going to buy a gun, bring it in, and shoot everybody. Even the manager of your apartment building (Elayne Wranik, now deceased) is afraid of you."

At that time I worked in a suite of offices located on the sixth floor of the firm. Assuming Stacey Schaar's fears were objective, do I remember the names of other employees on the sixth floor who could corroborate that my behavior and interaction with coworkers was disturbed and frightening? Well, as a matter of fact, I do.

Here's a list of the people I remember working on the sixth floor during the summer of 1989:

Gwen Lesh, Esq. -- Gwen Lesh worked as an agency-supplied temporary paralegal; she had taken the Maryland bar exam in February 1989 and was waiting for the results. She obtained employment in the summer of 1989 in the criminal law field.

Richard Stanke (System 85 Manager) worked in a private office immediately adjacent to me, Gwen Lesh and Stacey Schaar.

Karen Seifert (Lan Coordinator) worked in a private office near me, Gwen Lesh and Stacey Schaar.

Bong Suh was a consultant whose office was located near me, Gwen Lesh, and Stacey Schaar. I believe he had worked as a stock broker previously. I believe he dated Marjorie Levy for a time. Marjorie Levy was the daughter of firm partner Charles Levy, Esq., a tax attorney and head of the tax practice group. Charles Levy's office was next to that of Robert S. Strauss, Esq. on the firm's third floor. I once saw Bong Suh talking to a paralegal named Jesse Raben.