Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Department of Justice: You're Joking, Right?

On Friday January 15, 2010 I was interviewed at my residence by two officers from the U.S. Department of Justice.

Apparently, I created a stir in the Justice Department because three and one-half years earlier (June 26, 2006) I had added several facts to a Wikipedia article: a biography of a federal official.  One of the officers had a look of absolute indignation on his face when he asked me what facts I had added to the article (as if he didn't already know the answer).

For inquiring minds this is what I wrote: "As a partner at Williams & Connolly, xxxxxxx represented several notable clients including hotel magnate Leona Helmsley and fight promoter Don King.  xxxxxxx is married to labor lawyer xxxxxxx xxxxxx."  (The statements have never been deleted.)

Yes, explosive stuff, to be sure.  Say, aren't federal officers supposed to be out there hunting down wanted fugitives and terrorists?  People who build bombs and do other nasty things?  And I'm supposed to believe that the Justice Department had legitimate concerns about me?  Keep in mind, the officer started out the interview with the question: "Have you been to the opera lately?"  I'm not making this up.

For the record, I have a longstanding history of adding facts to Wikipedia articles or writing entire Wikipedia articles about people I admire.  It's an homage.

Here are some of my articles:

Stanley R. Palombo, M.D. (my former treating psychiatrist) (added June 22, 2007)

Bruce P. Lapenson (my cousin) (added March 25, 2010)

Alexandra Zapruder (the wife of my old friend, Craig Dye) (added June 19, 2007)

No comments: