Monday, February 22, 2010

Social Security Document Submission: June 1993

Pages 15-16 of Social Security Administration Submission

FAX NO. 609 235 5569 MEREDITH FINANCIAL SERVICES
Transmittal for Mrs. Estelle Jacobson c/o Mr. Edward Jacobson

[The following letter seems flagrantly paranoid. However, throughout the 1990s I received a large number of wrong numbers on my telephone, and a lot of people hung up after I picked up the phone. These days I rarely receive wrong numbers and people very rarely hang up after I pick up the phone. The calls I received in the 1990s might be termed, to borrow a term from the Department of Homeland Security, "suspicious chatter."]

Dear Stell,

A paranoiac might see meaning in the following:

1. Thursday, November 28, 1991 (Thanksgiving), sometime between 7:30 and 8:00 PM (I can remember because I was watching Jeopardy at the time), I got a telephone call. The caller asked if I was the attorney Gary Freedman who works for Jack Olender. (The caller pronounced it O-Lender, emphasizing the word “lender”). Money? COMPARE paragraph 5 BELOW. ALSO ISSUE OF PRACTICING LAW

2. On the afternoon of January 9, 1992 I visited with Ms. Margie Adams at the D.C. Office of Human Rights for the first time. Later that afternoon, someone called. It was a wrong number.

3. On February 6, 1991 I had lunch with Craig. Later that afternoon I got a telephone call. It was a wrong number. THE ANTI-SEMITE SEEKS TO KEEP THE JEW ISOLATED (GRUNBERGER)--EVIDENCE OF FRIENDSHIP AROUSES RAGE. Cf. LETTER OPENER INCIDENT AT AKIN GUMP A FEW DAYS AFTER MY TELEPHONE CALL WITH CRAIG ON SATURDAY MARCH 9, 1991 (NOTE THAT THE LETTER OPENER HAD BEEN PLACED ON MY DESK EARLY IN THE MORNING BEFORE I ARRIVED AT WORK.)

4. A few days after I sent you the Peter Gay excerpt about anti-Semitism, I got a telephone call shortly after 8:30 AM (NOTE THE TIME.) It was a wrong number. The woman asked me something about her car. She asked me something about a car accident or a traffic ticket--I can’t remember what it was now. ANTI-SEMITISM

5. Some time in March 1992, a brief time after I sent Ms. Margie Utley and Mr. [Donald] Stocks of the D.C. Office of Human Rights the letter about Akin Gump failing to offer me an associate position and forwarding a copy of the 1985 letter from Warren Connelly I received a telephone call. The caller said he was with Bear Stearns and wanted to send me literature about investment opportunities. He specifically said, “Have you ever invested in stocks and bonds before?” MONEY. ALSO ISSUE OF PRACTICING LAW. (COMPARE paragraph 1 ABOVE).

6. On Monday April 13, 1992 I mailed you a letter about the Temin brothers (“JEWISH. ORDER OF COIF”). Friday April 17, 1992, at about 9:45 am, I received a telephone call. The caller specifically asked, “Is this Paul Brothers Oldsmobile.” JEWS. ALSO ISSUE OF PRACTICING LAW.

One lead that Sherlock Holmes might pursue: possible relation between the person who put a letter opener on my desk and the person instigating these calls. Possibly a person who arrives at work early? (Did you know that Mr. Elliot Mincberg is a devotee of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle?)

The following tends to confirm the use of the telephone for harassment and not for legitimate business purposes (both while employed at Akin Gump and in the months after I left). It is highly unlikely that the telephone call was instigated by anyone other than an Akin Gump employee.

In early 1989 I received a telephone call at home one evening. The content of the call, to the best of my recollection, ran as follows:

Caller: Hello, Gary?

Me: Yes.

Caller: How are you, what have you been up to?

Me: Don’t you know who this is?

Me: No.

Caller: It’s Sheryl. Sheryl Ferguson.

I hung up. I seriously doubt the caller was the Cornell University graduate I used to work for.

At that time the real Sheryl Ferguson was preparing, as an employee of an independent contractor, a study of Akin Gump’s litigation support capability. As part of her effort she was interviewing a number of Akin Gump employees and attorneys.

The person who instigated this telephone call is not the type of person the management of Akin Gump would want to be giving out job references.

No comments: