Thursday, February 18, 2010

Are White People Allowed to Protest?

The short answer is no, white people are not allowed to protest. They may not protest anything. In fact, white people will tend to arouse profound suspicions if they do protest.

I was fired from my job as a paralegal at the law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld years ago, back in late October 1991. I was angry about the termination in 1991. I'm still angry today. I've been protesting the termination in a multitude of ways for years.

Recently, the Justice Department got wind of my protest blog, My Daily Struggles. The long and short of it is this: Justice was displeased with my protest blog and sent out two law enforcement officers to my home to intimidate me to stop writing my blog. They claimed that I showed an unhealthy rage and hostility on my blog: far too intense for a white man.

The way I read it, what they said amounted to the following: "Look, buddy, you're white. White people don't protest. Protesting is a black thing. If you were black we'd have some sympathy for you. But you happen to be white, so we have to ask: What makes you think you have the right to protest anything? Why don't you go back to watching Conan O'Brien and The Simpsons and forget about protesting your job termination. Leave the protesting to the brothers and the sisters. They have a reason to protest. They know how to protest. You, my friend, don't have a clue.

Be that as it may.

The recent news that Conan O’Brien will be replaced by Jay Leno has caused white people to erupt with rage and hostility. You might even expect them to lash out and do something about it like take to the streets or write a letter to NBC to voice their dissatisfaction with the network. But no, white people will solve this problem the way that they solved the election crisis in Iran –- through Facebook and Twitter status updates and by writing blog posts on Blogspot. In 2009, millions of white people took 35 seconds to turn their twitter profiles green, and consequently sent a very powerful message to the leaders of Iran. Their message was that they wanted their friends to know that they would stop at nothing to ensure freedom and democracy for the Iranian people. Thanks in large part to that effort Iran is now completely democratic. With that issue settled, white people are launching a similar campaign for Conan that is sure to have similar results.

Which brings me back to my campaign. Yes, I am white. I have grievances. I plan to continue protesting my grievances. On Blogspot. On my blog, My Daily Struggles. I make no apologies for being white and protesting like a white man.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/

No comments: