Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Lassman Mishpachah: Did You Know Malcolm Has A Brother Named Lionel?

Lassman & Co Ltd was founded by Samuel Lassman, the father of Malcolm Lassman, on December 31, 1941. After World War II, the company manufactured barware and other items designed or invented by Samuel Lassman.

The Lassman factory was located in the Kilburn borough of North London. The firm was located in a converted townhouse at 306 Kilburn Lane. It was never a large firm and at its peak employed about ten people including managers.

Prior to World War II, Samuel Lassman was a master jeweller working for Garrards, the Crown Jewellers. He worked on the Crown Jewels for the coronation of King George VI, who became King when King Edward VIII abdicated on December 11, 1936. The coronation was on May 12, 1937.

Samuel Lassman's son, Malcolm Lassman, was the Managing Director of the company in the 1970s and 1980s. Another son, Lionel, was also involved in the company for a few years and was also a director. In 1986, Jack Halsey, acquired the firm and moved it to Watford in Herts where it continues to make padlocks and other products under the name Lawrence Churchill Ltd. Jack had previously been the foreman and manager of the company after Samuel Lassman died in 1971.

Coincidentally, it was in the year 1971 that Malcolm Lassman and Robert S. Strauss founded the Washington, D.C. office of the Dallas-based law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer.

http://www.paperweights.com/lassman.htm

1 comment:

Gary Freedman said...

Lionel Lassman
Barristers (Office & Administration) based in the Crown Office Row area of London

Tel: 020 77977111
Address: 1 Crown Office Row, Temple, London EC4Y 7HH