Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Letter to U.S. Secret Service: 2/16/96

February 16, 1996
3801 Connecticut Ave., NW #136
Washington, DC 20008

Philip C. Leadroot
Special Agent
U.S. Secret Service
Washington Field Office

Dear Mr. Leadroot:

This letter addresses your admonition, stated in our meeting at your office this morning, that I refrain from communicating with the Justice Department (including the FBI or Office of U.S. Attorney) in regard to issues relating to protectees of the U.S. Secret Service.

I remain concerned and confused about what precisely I should refrain from doing and respectfully request from you a more precise statement about I how I should conduct myself in the future.

I offer the following specific problem.

By way of letter dated June 18, 1993 to my then treating psychiatrist, Suzanne M. Pitts, M.D., I related my fantasies in connection with the attempted assassination of President Reagan.

I provided a copy of the letter dated June 18, 1993 to Paul Yessler, M.D., a psychiatric consultant for the U.S. Social Security Administration. Notwithstanding the possibly serious implications of the letter, Dr. Yessler apparently did not contact any law enforcement agencies, including the U.S. Secret Service, about the letter and the possible security concerns the letter raised. Dr. Yessler did not question me about the letter; Dr. Yessler evaluated me on June 12, 1993, and I did not speak with him again.

It is my belief that both the FBI and the Office of U.S. Attorney might have serious concerns about the failure of a Social Security Administration consultant to report this matter to law enforcement. I believe I have a right (and possibly a duty) to report this matter to the FBI or Office of U.S. Attorney. Yet, how can I report this incident and at the same time comply with your admonition that I not communicate with the FBI or Office of U.S. Attorney?

Sincerely,

Gary Freedman

No comments: