Thursday, December 09, 2010

Akin Gump Employee: Past Employment

I chose to communicate with David Copus at Jones Day specifically because he was an employment lawyer who might have known Akin Gump employment lawyer Donald Livingston.  I vaguely recall that I noticed the names of both men on a brochure for a continuing legal education course on the topic of Employment Law.  I believe both men taught Employment Law courses for the same Continuing Legal Education firm and might therefore know each other.

I have a very vague recollection that I sent to David Copus at another time (probably 1997) a copy of my Brief on Appeal in 96-CV-961 (D.C. Court of Appeals), Freedman v. D.C. Dept. Human Rights.

October 7, 1996
3801 Connecticut Avenue, NW #136
Washington, DC  20008-4530

David A. Copus, Esq.
Jones, Day, Reavis & Pogue
1450 G Street, NW
Washington, DC  20005-2088

Dear Mr. Copus:

During the period Marsh 1988 to October 1991 I was employed as a legal assistant at the law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld ("Akin Gump").  Attorney managers at Akin Gump terminated my employment effective October 29, 1991 upon determining, in consultation with a psychiatrist, that I suffered from a serious mental disorder that rendered me potentially violent and not suitable for employment.

In about August 1989 a former co-worker at Akin Gump, Stacey Schaar ("Schaar"), stated to me: "We're all afraid of you.  We're all afraid you're going to buy a gun, bring it in, and shoot everybody."

In the opinion of the District of Columbia Office of Corporation Counsel Schaar's statement that I might have been armed and homicidal was not evidence of a hostile, offensive, or intimidating environment, and the specific fears of Schaar were relevant to the employer's decision to terminate my employment.  See Brief of Respondent in Opposition to Petition for Review of no Probable Cause Determination by Department of Human Rights at 6, Freedman v. D.C. Department of Human Rights, D.C. Superior Court no. MPA 95-14 (final order issued June 10, 1996) (name of D.C. Superior Court judge redacted at the implicit direction of the Justice Department).

Prior to her employment at Akin Gump, Schaar was on long-term temporary assignment at Jones, Day, Reavis & Pogue ("Jones Day") as a contract paralegal employed by Personnel Pool, a temporary agency.

If Jones Day has any information relating to Schaar's tenure at the firm that might in any way shed light on her later conduct at Akin Gump (such as the spreading of false and malicious rumors, or engaging in hostile or offensive conduct, etc.) I respectfully request that you so advise the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Incidentally, you may know that Donald R. Livingston, Esq., former general counsel of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (1990-1993) is now an Akin Gump partner.

Sincerely,

Gary Freedman

No comments: