Monday, December 05, 2011

Inferences: Deferring Judgment

I faxed the following message to my sister during the year 1992, following my job termination by the law firm of Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld on October 29, 1991.

1 of 2

FAX NO. 609 235 5569    MEREDITH FINANCIAL SERVICES
Transmittal for Mrs. Estelle Jacobson c/o Mr. Edward Jacobson

Dear Stell,

I want to explain something about my inferences.  I have many inferences.  I don’t attach the same weight to all my inferences.  I attach a number value to them -- I use a “1 to 10” scale.  For example, the baby food jar.  When I first saw the baby food jar I thought “that’s peculiar.”  When I see something that’s peculiar I automatically assign it a value of “1,” but never higher than one.  When, in retrospect, a peculiarity seems to be part of a context of peculiarities, I attach a higher number value to the initial peculiarity.  Further, when the whole body of peculiarities seems to match another complex of peculiarities I attach an even higher value.

For example:

PECULIARITY

Baby food jar alone = 1 (extremely low significance, but slight chance of significance)

CONTEXT OF PECULIARITY

Baby food jar                         
Lentil soup
Homosexuals                                     = 5 (moderate likelihood of significance,
Supervisor’s                                               50/50 probability)
    look of shock
First day in office                                        

PAST POSSIBLY RELATED INCIDENTS

- in 1989, while working in office with Stacey Schaar, came to work one morning to find that my trash can contained an empty milk carton and an empty bag of dog food (Stacey Schaar had a dog [which she sometimes brought to the office on weekends]).  That, in turn, was part of a complex of past harassing interactions with Stacey Schaar, including the comment, during the summer of 1989: “We’re all afraid of you.  We’re all afraid you’re going to buy a gun, bring it in and shoot everybody.  Even the manager of your apartment building is afraid of you.”   (The comment about the manager of my apartment building, in turn, is part of the “strange-reaction by coworekrs-whenever-I-put-strange-things-in-my-trash complex” [See below]).  Also, the comment by Stacey Schaar about the gun was, in turn, part of a seemingly intensified harassment beginning in August 1989 after I had dinner with Jesse Raben, which, in turn, is related to her harassment about Craig, and also related to Chris Robertson’s comment during the summer of 1991: “Here, you look like you need some chocolate,” which was apparently part of the “Harassment-following-interaction with-Jesse-Raben complex.”

2 of 2

-  past instances of finding of things placed on my desk upon arriving at work: letter opener placed in book, “white trash” written on piece of paper, plastic trash bag, clothing catalogue, secretarial training brochure, “GI Joe” napkin shred to bits

- Greg Courtney’s “skull cap” comment (which itself is part of a complex of other comments by Greg Courtney.  For example, the morning I had placed in my trash bag at home a list of peoples’ projections about me (“Rory Jacques Inkblatt”) Greg Courtney made the following comment while standing by my desk, “When you put something down a trash chute, it can never be recovered.”  That comment was itself part of another complex, the “peculiar-reaction-from-coworkers-when-I-put-something-strange-in-my trash-at-home-complex  (See above comment by Stacey Schaar, “Even the manager of your apartment building is afraid of you.”): specifically, the morning I had put in my trash at home my “Make Room for the Goyim” scenario, there was a lot of carrying on in the office--a lot of homosexual comments in the office in a loud tone of voice beginning about 9:20 AM.  That, in turn, was part of another complex: the general tendency to engage in a lot of homo-crap, or general harassing conduct, whenever I, or anyone else, suggested in any way that I was a victim of anti-Semitism.  Compare intense reaction to Dr. Winkler (Dr. Winkler, unlike any of the other mental health professionals I saw, asked me quite a few questions to try to size up my Jewishness: “Did your mother cook Jewish?  Do you go to services?  Did your mother buy matzo?” (No, Dr. Winkler, she rented it.) -- (I had drawn the inference that the intense reaction to Dr. Winkler by my coworkers was his quite possible conclusion that anti-Semitism played a role in my difficulties, which, in turn, raises the “mental-health-professionals’-communications-with-employer complex”)

- additional PAST POSSIBLY RELATED INCIDENTS, which I will not bother to enumerate.

I think you get the picture.  I ended up assigning a “9” value to the baby food jar.

My “very high weight" inferences are based on an integration, or synthesis, of complexes of past interactions and observations, or axes.  Where a large number of axes intersect, like the spokes of a wheel at a hub, I derive a “very high weight” inference.

GF

No comments: