Wednesday, December 14, 2011

D.C. Commission on Mental Health -- P Street Clinic Day Program

During the summer of 1996 I entered treatment with the D.C. Commission on Mental Health Services, P Street Clinic. I had an initial intake interview with a social worker named Marjorie Heydt. Mrs. Heydt recommended that I enter the clinic's Day Program. I was unhappy with that recommendation; I viewed the Day Program as a form of kindergarten for adults.  The following is a handwritten letter from Diana K. Munson, Director of the P Street Day Program.  Diana K. Munson was an art therapist. I had been interviewed by the U.S. Secret Service in February 1996; hence the reference to "White House case."
____________________

Government of the District of Columbia
Department of Human Services
Mental Health Services Administration
Washington, D.C. 20002

3246 P St NW
Intensive Day Tr. NCMHC

Dear Mr. Freedman:

Thank you for the copy of your 8 page letter to Ms. Heydt.  A great intellectual effort, indeed.  A simple "thanks, but no thanks" would have sufficed.  But at least now I'll not worry about lack of structure in your free time -- letter writing is a structure/art form thoroughly demanding in its own right.

About the "White House Case" remark: you over attributed without validating my statement.  My only concern with "White House Cases" is it presents IDT with a conflict of interest usually, because we prefer to remain independent of the legal system lest we become an agent of it (by default), and thus therapy becomes impossible or at best a "watchdog" process.  And the patient, so-called, experiences himself in treatment by [illegible] which negates the potential for real Tx.  Glad to hear your ego development is such that you either do not need or cannot utilize group therapy in Day Treatment.  Best wishes; if you change your mind let me know.

Diana K. Munson, LICSW, ATR

No comments: