Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Letter from Franklin Institute Coworker

From 1975 to 1979 I worked at The Franklin Institute in Philadelphia with the author of the following letter, who wrote to me during my first year of law school in Spokane, Washington:

April 29, 1980

Dear Gary,

I saw this article in Science 80 and thought that you might be interested in it.  Freud--a closet biologist!

I understand (via Nancy) that your classes and work are going extremely well.  Congratulations on your accomplishments.

I hope that you get a chance to come in and visit soon.  There have been several changes in our lives (as I'm sure you heard from Nancy), but I don't have the energy to go into them now.  Besides, I have to finish correcting my program for my midterm tonight.  I'm on the second half of a COBOL programming course.  It's fun . . . and irritating.  It's true what programmers say . . .  "the computer can't do it!"  Actually, in case you haven't already guessed, the computer does not impose all that many limitations; it's the programmer and his/her lack of foresight.

Take care of yourself.  Don't overwork yourself.  Remember the old saying about too much work.

1 comment:

My Daily Struggles said...

Sheryl, you look fantastic!!