Friday, August 27, 2010

Lewis A. Winkler, M.D. -- Ideas of Reference

In April 1991 I saw a psychiatrist named Lewis A. Winkler, M.D. for three consultations.  Dr. Winkler, like Malcolm Lassman, was Jewish and originally from Brooklyn, New York.  I had been moved to the terrace level of Akin Gump's office in April 1991, where the firm's Litigation Support Group was housed.  I felt that the job harassment was particularly intense while I was seeing Dr. Winkler.  I terminated my work with Dr. Winkler precisely because I could not tolerate the harassment.


The day after I terminated my work with Dr. Winkler I happened to see Malcolm Lassman in the elevator area of the firm's lobby.  He looked at me and seemed almost apoplectic.  I vaguely recall that he was with another partner named Mark Goldberg.  Goldberg and Lassman were sometimes seen together; they traveled around the firm like a pair of nuns.  I recall that on one occasion at Halloween, Lassman said he and Goldberg were dressing up as a pair of nuns for Halloween.  I don't know if he was serious.

I had formed the opinion that Lassman believed that Dr. Winkler was the one psychiatrist who could help me, and he was intensely angry when I terminated my work with him -- hence his angry appearance in the elevator area one morning in April 1991.

I also formed another belief that is a pure idea of reference, but based on cues I picked up on in the environment.  Lassman had asked Dr. Winkler if he thought I was paranoid.  Dr. Winkler replied (in my fantasy): "No, he just describes what he sees."

In late October Akin Gump terminated me and later alleged that it had determined that I was paranoid and potentially violent.

No comments: